Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gingerbread Crafts and Traditions

We did some gingerbread activities a few days back.  We always look forward to making our gingerbread house.  I wish I was a better baker and could make our own, but I'm not.  So, I seek out kits...ready to go kits.  Cosco had one this year, all assembled and icing already in a pastry bag.  My kind of kit, Score!

Photobucket

The kids and I visited a local historic inn to see an amazing gingerbread house display.  I so wish I had the talent to make one of these homes.  There were so many beautiful ones.
gingerbread craft, advent activities

The kids had a great time making these gingerbread houses made from paper bags.

Photobucket

I pulled out a variety of materials that I already had on hand and set them out. There were stickers, stamps, pom poms, glitter, dot dot paints, rickrack, sequins, etc.

Photobucket

I cut squares and triangles out of paper bags and they glued them together to make a house.

Photobucket

This is not a project for the weak at heart as it was a bit messy with all the glue, glitter, and paint, but it sure was fun.  I loved how they all used different materials and how focused they were on decorating their house.  I think they turned out really cute.

gingerbread house crafts, advent activities

When I anticipate a messy project, I usually have snacks and a movie ready to go so I can have a few minutes to regroup.  They help me clean up what they can and then I send them to watch their movie while I finish cleaning. 

Photobucket

Decorating our house was an experience this year!  I had all our supplies out and ready to go.  Before I knew what was happening the younger two had mouthfuls of chocolates and gum drops.  Needless to say they were sugared up for the evening and our traditional drive for lights turned into an evening walk to use up some of their energy.

Photobucket

We took turns adding icing and candies to our house.  It seems less chaotic than just all jumping in at once.

Photobucket

While one was working on the house the others read some of Jan Brett's gingerbread books or played with this fun interactive on line gingerbread house at Jenny B Harris.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Our activities were spread over a few days in case you were wondering.

Classified: Mom
For the Kids Friday

19 comments :

Lindsay said...

Your gingerbread house turned out great!! I love the paper bag gingerbread houses too!

Christy said...

We use a kit too. I love to see gingerbread houses made by artist/bakers. I just saw pictures of a life-size gingerbread house at Disney and it is amazing!

RedTedArt said...

Oh I love your paper bag gingerbread houses and I ADORE your real one. Wow!

Thank you for linking to Kids Get Crafty.

Maggy

Phyllis said...

Wonderful tradition! We use a kit too. This is certainly a place where it is worth it to buy a kit rather than make it yourself.

Justine @ You'll Thank Me One Day said...

I love the paper bag idea! Those pictures of the fancy gingerbread houses were gorgeous! I adored the pink one! I wish I was talented enough to do something like that, but my baking skills are only good enough to make sure the cookies don't burn (sometimes)!

Ticia said...

Those are AMAZING! I need to pick up a kit too because I'm just not the uber baker.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Your house turned out pretty spiffy! I think we'll try our hand at faux gingerbread graham cracker houses this year. That way each of my kids can have their own house and I don't have to bake a thing.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I like the idea of some help with clean up and a movie afterwards to give you a chance to finish in peace. Your gingerbread houses (a real one and a paper one) look awesome!

Ruby Jean said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE those Gingerbread houses... Especially that Pink one... Can you believe last year was the FIRST year I ever made a Gingerbread house... And can you believe I ate some of that STALE candy as well.... EEEEKKK!!! Love making gingerbread house Now!!!

Rachel Kaylynn said...

Using paperbags is brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

Nicola said...

The paper bag gingerbread houses are such a good idea. They turned out so cute too!
Here's a coloring page I made for you. Happy Holidays from TwistyNoodle!
http://twistynoodle.com/coloring-pages/holiday/christmas/little-wonders-days-coloring-page/

Ali said...

Your gingerbread house looks sooo good.

Jenny said...

I love your paper bag gingerbread house. I was planning to do something similar this week with my gingerbread theme. I didn't want to have all the candy that we'd need to make a real gingerbread house laying around, so I thought it would be a good compromise. Love how yours turned out!

Maureen said...

Like most commented on - using a paper bag for the house was a terrific and inexpensive idea.
We make a gingerbread creation each year for a local fundraiser. It is a joint effort with our grade 3 buddies. They love getting creative with candy and making all the pieces. You can check out this year's creation if you want http://strongstart.blogspot.com/2011/12/candy-castle.html

Sherri said...

Gingerbread fun ROCKS...and like everything else at your house...yours looks amazing!

Heidi said...

Love the houses made from brown paper bags.

Trish@MomOnTimeout said...

I love the paper bag houses - so cute!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Those gingerbread houses were AMAZING - WOW!! What a cool outing. Your house looks pretty cute too =-) We made a Nativity Gingerbread house. Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Merry Christmas,
Beth =-)

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

What a fun idea making the Gingerbread houses out of the paper bag. I am definitely going to try that next year. :)