Thursday, December 8, 2011

Festival of Lights, Advent Day 6

One of our favorite family traditions is to go look at Christmas lights and have hot cocoa.  After we finish dinner, the kids get ready for bed and then we head out for a short drive.  We had some extra fun around this tradition yesterday.

advent activities, Christmas lights craft

We made our own tangled strand of Christmas lights out of yarn and paint.  I showed the kids how to drag a piece of yarn through paint and then drag it along their paper to make the light strand.  Then they dipped their finger in different colored paints and dabbed them along the strand to make a string of colored lights.

advent activities, countdown to Christmas, christmas lights activity

Our next craft was quick and easy, if you don't mind a little glitter.  I gave them each a cut out of a Christmas tree.  Then they dipped their finger in glue, sprinkled glitter and voila a pretty tree with glittery lights.  I usually don't hang things on our refrigerator, but they look so pretty there.

Photobucket

I picked up some glow sticks from the Target dollar bin.  The kids love glow sticks and now they can be part of the light show.  Little J helped hang the Santa sun catcher in our kitchen window.  He looks pretty jolly there. 

Before heading out for our drive, the kids helped us hang some lights in our front yard.  This was the first time they helped with doing this and thought it was so much fun.

I made real whipped cream for our hot cocoa and topped it with Christmas light sprinkles.  They had strawberries with more real whipped cream for their goodnight snacks.


9 comments :

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

SUPER cute lights & garland activity!! I am totally doing this with my kids! We look at lights with hot cocoa in hand too - I found some disney christmas mugs with lids that they look forward to taking out every year. I have never put whip cream on the top though, they would LOVE it! I shared with my facebook readers - https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Living-Life-Intentionally/261252997248957 =-)
Beth

Christy said...

This is great. I love the tangled lights craft!

Wonder Mom said...

ALL of these activities are adorable! And I am going to steal your idea of giving the kiddos glow sticks when you go and look at the lights- genius!

Rachel Kaylynn said...

What fun traditions! We go look at lights every year too. I practically like you idea of giving the kids glow stocks & the fingerprint lights.

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

You are such a fun mom... I really love your ideas- Had I found you sooner, I would have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :)

You've had so many fun adventures with your kiddos... I'd love it if you'd pick one with a "Fun Food" to link up to my "Food Adventure Friday!"http://teachinggoodeaters.blogspot.com/2011/12/advantages-of-planning-ahead.html

Sherri said...

You always have awesome fun activities for the wee ones!

Crystal said...

How fun. We too love to drive around and look at lights this time of year. We have two favorite neighborhoods.

Thanks for sharing these activities on my mommy solution meme. I am going to share them over on Facebook and Pin them!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Love the lights activity but cringe imagining the mess :) We used a glitter paint this year, and it was really neat - it's sort of like glitter glue, but not as thick and dries somewhat faster. No shedding once dry unlike loose glitter.

Lindsay said...

So cute.. all of the crafts are adorable! Love all the finishing touches you did with the lights sprinkles and homemade whipped cream! That's the stuff the kids remember!