Thursday, December 1, 2011

Letters to Santa Party

letters to Santa party

While the kids were at school today, I set up for a Santa letter writing party.  I set out a basket of Christmas stationary, pencils, markers, crayons, and stickers.

advent activit├ęs, Christmas, letters to Santa

I found this cute felt Santa advent calendar in the dollar section at Target.  The kids are excited to see Christmas is so close.

Photobucket

We had Santa's favorite snack, milk and cookies, along with some strawberries.  We turned on some Christmas music and got to work.

Photobucket

Little J wrote his letter back in September...experienced one!  However, just to get some sneaky fun writing practice in, I had him write a letter to Santa asking that he visit the child whose card we picked off the angel tree.  I helped Juiciness and Sassyfras write their letter and they tried super hard to write something that looked like their name.  After that they colored and decorated their letters to the nines.

letters to Santa, Letter writing party

After their letters were sealed and addressed, they put them in the mailbox.  They can't wait to hear back from Santa!

Now the younger two wouldn't know, but Little J is getting old enough to catch details about Santa that just don't make sense. So Santa has to be a bit more careful these days. Santa's letter has to look authentic.

We sent our letters to the North Pole  and "Santa" will send us a letter back, but I also found this site that has a printable North Pole stamp.
*If you send your letter to the North Pole, it must be there by Dec 10th to get a reply before Christmas*
A++

16 comments :

Lindsay said...

What fun! I love all of the stickers on the front of the envelope :-)

Christy said...

C is catching on too: I'm trying really hard! He is 7; I think Little J is too??

I love all of your details.

Phyllis said...

How sweet!! My boys wrote their letters today, too. James just goes along with it for Quentin's benefit. :)

Terri said...

I love this idea! It looks like so much fun for the kids!!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I also plan to get a special Letter to Santa activity early in December! Milk and cookies snack is a nice touch. Too funny that Little J wrote his letter in September. Anna is still contemplating hers.

Sherri said...

Fantastic idea! I love it! The letters turned out perfect!

Jamie H said...

OMG such a great idea to make a party out of writing letters to Santa! We would love it if you would link up and share this with our readers as well!
http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-2.html

Amanda said...

I'm in love =) Your writing station is just beautiful. I linked back to this post on our blog here http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/12/afterschool-express-writing-continues.html

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What fun!! I had NO IDEA that the post office would do a noth pole postage stamp! You rock!!
Beth (TGIF)

Rhonda said...

I've been following your blog for awhile a now and I just have to say "You are an amazing mother!" Your children are incredibly lucky little ones...I will be using a lot of your suggestions for my grandson..you have a knack for making it look like so much fun, even for the adults..I can't wait! :)

Rebekah said...

What a fantastic idea! I might have to steal this for next year!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is so cute! I can't wait until my kids are just a little older to do something like this. Right now, my kids do the dictating and mommy does the writing.

Jodie said...

What a cute idea to promote writing skills. Love it.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I really love this idea! What fun! The advent calendar was such a deal.

I would love for you to link this to my Christmas Tradition link up!

Anonymous said...

This is my first year doing this my son is old enough now but I had a question might sound dumb but do you send them for real or do you wait till there asleep and go get them@

Kelly said...

Not dumb at all...don't send their letter to Santa...keep that hidden for you as a keepsake.

Let your son put his letter in the mailbox, but sneak it out before the mailman comes again.

What you actually mail is an envelope containing a stamped self addressed envelope containing the letter you have written on Santa's behalf back to your son.

When it reaches the North Pole, they open the outer envelope and process your inner envelope so there is a cancellation stamp from the North Pole and mail it back to you.

Hope that makes sense.
Kelly