Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cookies for Santa

cookies for santa, advent activities

I think I've finally redeemed myself in the sugar cookie baking area!  After the kids went to bed last night, I mixed up this recipe.  I let it chill a few hours before trying to roll it out and cut the cookies (a step that I think I skimped on in the past).

Photobucket

I turned on some Josh Groban Christmas music, poured a glass of wine, and rolled out dozens of cookies in peace.  It was rather peaceful.  I've always had 3 kids swirling at my feet when trying to make cookies!

Photobucket
After putting the cutout cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, I put them back into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before cooking them. I think it helped them from spreading out and loosing their shape.

Photobucket

I made a batch of royal icing using this recipe.  The kids decorated with icing and sprinkles to their hearts' delight.  Cleanup was simple since I had lined the table with a plastic tablecloth.

cookies for santa, advent activities

We're having dinner with some good friends tomorrow night. I know my friend hasn't had a chance to bake cookies with her kids this year, so I've packaged up a couple dozen unfrosted cookies to take for them to decorate.

advent activities
Santa is very happy!

4 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Your cookies look lovely. I also baked a batch while Anna was in her winter camp. We will be decorating them later today with some friends for a Hanukkah Winter party.

Sherri said...

I always skip all of those steps too! We are making cookies tomorrow...I better make the dough tonight! :)
They looked awesome!

Lindsay said...

Nice job on the cookies! I too usually skip those steps.. probably why mine turn out so bad! I will have to try that next time!

Christy said...

Thanks for the tips. Your friend is going to be so happy!