Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Carol Themed Advent Activities for Kids

Our advent activities this year will be mostly secular until December 11th.  After that, I thought I would do something a little different.  I've picked out Christmas carols to teach the children.  We'll sing the chorus or the first verses of the songs.  We'll also do some fun go along activities.  I don't expect they will memorize the songs, but I want the days to be more focused on Jesus and the reason we celebrate Christmas. 

Day 1- Elf Fun
Day 2- More Elf Fun
Day 3- Candy Canes
Day 4- Marshmallow Fun
Day 5- Swirly Twirly Day
Day 6- Festival of Lights
Day 7- Snow Storm
Day 8- Reindeer Games
Day 9- Gingerbread Play
Day 10- More Gingerbread Play
Day 11- Nutcracker Fun
Day 12- Away in a Manger
Day 13- Oh Come All Ye Faithful
Day 14- Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
Day 15- Joy to the World
Day 16- The First Noel
Day 17- Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Day 19- Little Drummer Boy
Day 20- Angels We Have Heard on High
Day 21- It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
Day 22- Silent Night
Day 23- What Child Is This?
Day 24- The Christmas Story Retold
Merry Christmas

 elf bag

We finished up our elf fun with a few elf crafts.  Using construction paper, I cut elf faces out and placed them in a green gift bag for each child.  

how to make an elf bag


making gift bags

They glued them to the bag to make a cute elf face.

christmas traditions for kids

I had them leave them on the table for me.  After they went to bed, I packaged up their Christmas jammies for a little morning surprise.

christmas traditions

I loved these Russell Stover chocolate Santas when I was a child.  They do too!

Pinecone craft, pinecone elves

Our other craft was pine cone elves.  Juiciness and Sassyfras helped pick out the colors for their elves, but Little J and I drew their faces and did any hot gluing.  We used chenille stems for the arms and legs and also to make a small loop on the back so they can hang on the tree. 

8 comments :

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

What a good mom you are!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Love your plans and the pine cone elves are adorable!

Mom and Kiddo said...

Great advent ideas. One year I tried doing and activity-a-day advent calendar, but found I just could not handle the pressure! :)

Justine said...

Great ideas! I love the pine cone elves!!! They are so cute!

Justine said...

Great ideas! I love the pine cone elves!!! They are so cute!

Joyce said...

I agree with an above commenter. You are such a fabulous mom! I love both of those ideas. You are really making the season magical for them. I seriously got a little teary! Great post. Thank you for sharing :)

Christy said...

The pine cone elves are super cute!

Candice at Picture Perfect Parties said...

This looks like so much fun! I'm definitely going to do this with my son this year. I'm already coming up with my list. I can' wait!