Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Turkey Craft for Kids Using Homemade Rubbing Plates

turkey craft for kids

We're getting ready for turkey day!

Thanksgiving arts and crafts for kids

I made a rubbing plate in the shape of a feather using construction paper and school glue.  I did the large shape first and once it dried went back and added more fine lines to look like the vanes on a feather.

Kids Thanksgiving craft


Thanksgiving turkey craft for kids

I gave the kids some crayon rocks and showed them how to hold the paper still over the rubbing plate.  Sassyfras chose to use one color on each feather and tried to match the paper color.  Juiciness used every color of the rainbow on each feather!

How to make homemade rubbing plates

I cut their feathers out for them and they glued them to the body of their turkey.

Turkey craft for kids

They added a head, some googly eyes, and a beak.

Turkey Craft for kids
Gobble gobble!



18 comments :

Phyllis said...

That is so cute! Great idea.

Ticia said...

You know, I bet my kids are ready for crayon rubbings now. I tried a few years ago and that was a dismal failure.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Cute way to make feathers!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I like your homemade rubbing plates - so neat! We did some leaf rubbings here - daughter is slowly getting better at keeping paper in place and staying on the task long enough to see the results.

Lindsay said...

Cute! I need to make some rubbing plates I am sure Sammy would have a blast with them!

Amanda said...

Mine are a little too young for rubbing crayons, but I love the idea of making different shapes out of glue for them when we get to this stage!

RedTedArt said...

Oh how sweet! And love how you made your own rubbing plates!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Andrea said...

Cute, cute, cute! I can't wait to try this! You should check out our Thanksgiving song to go along with your adorable turkeys. www.myhomeschooltale.blogspot.com Thanks for the great idea!

Andrea

Vicky said...

That is just so clever! I love how you made the rubbing plate. Genius! Visiting from Kids Get Crafty. Vicky from Mess For Less

Sherri said...

That was a brilliant idea1

Charlene said...

I love your homemade rubbing plates to make the feathers...such a clever idea. Going to have to try this one with my boys.

Thanks for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land!! Hope to see you again soon!!

Ali said...

I love rubbings but hadn't thought to make some myself - brilliant.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

These are darling! We don't have any trees in our yard to do leaf rubbing with so your idea of using the glue would be PERFECT for us. Thanks so much for sharing this. I love it!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the idea of using rubbings to make the feathers.

I would love for you to link this post to my Thanksgiving Traditions link up on Thursday!

Jenny said...

What a simple but awesome idea! Thanks for sharing this!

Stopped in from the Link & Learn.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a wonderful idea! My son loves rubbing plates, and I love the idea of using them to make turkeys - so creative. I've made many with a hot glue gun, the drying takes much less time, and the hot glue dries nice and bumpy. But I'm loving the regular glue idea, and I think this would be a great way for him to make his own rubbing plates! Can't wait to tell him about this. :)

Aimee from Classified: Mom said...

What a cute idea! I love how it turned out ;-) Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

Ms. Amber said...

Turkeys turned out great! Love glue rubbing plates...inexpensive and easy to create for any theme.