Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How to Make Cranberry Play Dough

It's our turn to bring the play dough to preschool.  I pulled this post out of my archives and we made another batch to share!  It's a beautiful shade of cranberry pink, Sassyfras is very pleased.  You can see the original post here.  Hope you enjoy the flashback!

cranberry play dough, fall fun, homemade play dough

This started out as a complete experiment.  I had bought cranberries to make whole cranberry sauce.  I added about 4 cups of water (no sugar) to one bag of cranberries and brought it to a boil, then reduced it to low for about 20 minutes. I drained the berries and the water left from this recipe was a pretty, well, cranberry color. 
how to make cranberry play dough

I decided to make some play dough using the water.  It turned out a very pretty shade of pink.

how to make cranberry play dough


It's your basic play dough recipe, just change the water for cranberry water...
Cranberry Play Dough Recipe
2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cream of tarter
2 cups of cranberry water
Place ingredients in a sauce pan and heat over low heat, stirring until it starts to pull away from the sides.  Once a good ball forms, remove from heat and turn out onto a heat safe surface to cool slightly.  Knead until smooth.


10 comments :

Lindsay said...

What a fun way to make playdough! I love that it is natural dye and fragrance!

Phyllis said...

Does it smell like cranberries, too? Alas, my boys are now too old for it.

Little Wonders' Days said...

It smells a little like cranberries, but that flour smell is still there. The color is what is really pretty though.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Beautiful pink color! I'd like to try using cranberries to dye eggs next Easter.

Discovering Montessori said...

I am so making this!! Just want a needed to add some flavor to the play doh mats. Thank you for sharing.

maggy, red ted art said...

Oooh delicious! We made glitter playdough this week, but the cranberry one looks fabulous! Great way to explore colour too!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!!

Maggy

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very pretty! How did your sauce turn out?

Kelly said...

The sauce was really good. That was last year, so I don't remember what recipe I used. I'm planning to use our cranberries from the other day to make a cranberry apple crisp later today, hopefully. I'll let you know how that goes...

Carrie said...

I cannot wait to try this. My daughter loves cranberries, so the idea of cranberry play dough is great! I would love it if you would share it at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2011/11/sharing-saturday-4.html. Thank you!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what a fab experiment & a complete success! LOVE that color my youngest would be so pleased! I will have to try this for sure for her!

do stop by & share on - the Sunday Showcase- http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bern