Monday, November 7, 2011

Chili Tasting Dinner and Recipes

Nana and Papa are visiting this week.  We are all very excited to see them.  I thought it would be fun to do a little chili tasting for dinner.  I made two chillies, a Cincinnati chili and a sweet and sour chili, complete with a topping bar. 
chili tasting, fall fun

I placed spaghetti, chopped onion, shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauces, and extra bowls out near the stove so everyone could help themselves and build their own chili creation.

how to make a chili tasting dinner

I used this Cincinnati chili recipe found here.  It's been years since I've been to Cincinnati and had the traditional "Skyline" chili.  This turned out spot on from what I remember having.  The only change I made was to boil the beef in beef stock rather than water.  I've made this chili before and we LOVE it! 

how to make a chili tasting dinner

This sweet and sour chili recipe came from a friend years ago and I make it regularly.  It freezes very well too.

Ingredients
3 slices of bacon
1 chopped onion
1 lb ground beef
2 garlic cloves minced
1 roasted red pepper chopped (can jarred)
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
Small can of tomato sauce (optional)
15 oz can of kidney beans
15 oz can of black beans
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 tsp chili powder or to taste
Dash cayenne pepper
Couple shakes of Frank’s hot sauce

Cut bacon into small pieces and cook in your chili pot until crispy. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel. Brown meat and onion in bacon drippings, drain. Once meat is browned, add all other ingredients to the pot. Adjust seasoning to taste and simmer for 30 or more minutes.

6 comments :

Christy said...

Sounds great!!! I have never had Cincinnati chili!!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Sounds like an interesting chili. I am a big fan, but unfortunately my husband doesn't like anything with beans.

Sherri said...

Totally fun!!!!!

MaryAnne said...

That sweet and sour chili sounds great!

Lindsay said...

Delicious! Which did everyone like best?

Mom and Kiddo said...

Suddenly I am very hungry.