Saturday, October 29, 2011

Teacher Workday at the Beach, a Family Tradition

teacher workday at the beach, beach play, beach fun

Yesterday was the first teacher workday of the year and we went to the beach.  We did this last year, so I guess it's becoming a little tradition.  My kids, like most I know, love the beach.  I love this time of year because the crowds are gone and we pretty much have the beach to ourselves to run and play and make as much noise as we want. 

beach play for kids

We made spy glasses from recycled paper towels rolls. 

beach play for kids

I also brought along a couple of cardboard boxes so we could make a sailboat.  It would have been easy to assemble...if it weren't for the gusty winds.  While it didn't turn out looking like I had pictured, we had fun and lots of laughs trying to get it together.  The kids played sailor and pirate for a long time.

beach play for kids

 "I spy..."

Teacher workday at the beach via Little Wonders' Days

We made a sailboat style bunting and mass before we left home, but that was completely impossible to put up with the winds.  So, the kids draped it along the sides of the boat.

Photobucket

I needed some treat boxes for another project and had a few of these left over and decided to pack some individual snack boxes for the kids.  They are Martha Stewart found at the craft store. 

ocean theme lunch

My kids think these goldfish flat breads by Pepperidge Farm are so fun.  I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches out of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think I've found my favorite photo prop, BALLOONS!   I blew one up for each kid and tied the string around their wrists. They had a blast playing with these, especially in the wind. I was able to get so many wonderful pictures of them playing. Such natural fun pictures, that I think I will do this again to get a picture for our Christmas cards. 

Photobucket

We made sure to pop the balloons and take the string and pieces with us so no sea animals would get in trouble with them.


playing at the beach

We drove straight to Starbucks to warm up with some hot cocoa.  It was another great day at the beach!

The AfterSchool party is coming tomorrow.  I hope you will come back for a visit!
Little Wonders' Days

Linking to:  Living Life Intentionally, Fun For Kids Friday, The Sunday Showcase, It's Playtime!

7 comments :

Christy said...

Great day!!!

Lindsay said...

What fun!! Looks like everyone had a blast! Love the balloon idea!

bgorden said...

Aren't you a clever, plan-ahead Mom to bring cardboard boxes to the beach -how fun & memorable! Thanks for linking up to Living Life Intentionally LInky Party =-)

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a great outing! As always, you are well prepared. The twins look so grown up!

Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon said...

I love the idea of bringing boxes to the beach on a cold day. Oh the fun that can be had. It is just brilliant. We bought a basketball hoop this fall and our girls are having a blast with the box. What a treasure.

MissMOE said...

Every part of this day looks wonderful!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what a great day! :) I never would have thought to bring boxes to the beach - you are such a fun mom!

Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase. Hope to see you this week -
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bern