Thursday, October 6, 2011

Squirrel Theme Week

squirrel lesson plans, squirrel theme

Juiciness and Sassyfras are learning about mammals.  We're starting with the characteristics of mammals and talking about specific small mammals this week.  The squirrels in our neighborhood are very busy collecting for winter, so I thought they would be easy to observe ...hence our theme of the week.

squirrel theme, squirrel lesson plans, preschool themes

The kids collected some acorns on our walk yesterday.  I borrowed some to make a transfer work.  

Montessori inspired squirrel theme week

They are using a strawberry huller to transfer each acorn.  This was a very popular tray! 

squirrel theme, fall theme, squirrel lesson plans, preschool lesson plans

Sassyfras and Juiciness have been working with the 100's board with control (numbers face up) to place numbers 1-20.  I wrote the numbers on this acorn printable and then cut another sheet of them for them to match. You can find the printable here

acorn theme counting

squirrel preschool theme

I thought this was a cute coloring page.  You can find it here.

squirrel preschool theme activities

squirrel theme

I haven't left Little J out of our week!  Having gone to a Montessori preschool and kindergarten, he has a good foundation of the different classes of animals, so I gave him some more advanced work.  I found this story starter here

I'm also working with him to do a simple report about squirrels. This will be the first time that he has done this.  I've started by discussing where he could find information for his research.  Then I gave him a couple index cards with a research question on it.  He is supposed to take one a day and find the answer to the question and write a couple of sentences.  When he finishes all the cards, he should be able to put together a nice project.  I'll let you know how this project goes.

Linking to:  Fun For Kids Friday, Montessori Monday


Ticia said...

What a great squirrel week!

Raising a Happy Child said...

You always find interesting things to do. I am very interesting to learn more about J's research problem. Can you please share the link with the writing prompt - somehow it got lost.

Kelly said...

Oops! The link should be there now.

Deceptively Educational said...

I love acorns too! Thanks for sharing (as always). I just gave you the Versatile Blogger award! Stop by for more info:

Sarah said...

I love this week's theme, along with all your themes. I also nominated you for a versatile blogger award. You can read here to find out more info:

Sherri said...

What a great theme...with perfect activities!

Jessica said...

I've never seen acorns like that...very pretty!

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing! I have used acorns as counters (like Deb showed on her Montessori Monday post) but I have never thought to use them for transferring.


Deb Chitwood said...

What a great theme for a week in October! I'll look forward to hearing more about the research project. Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page:

Our Country Road said...

Love this theme!!! Thanks for sharing all the links!

Deb Chitwood said...

I featured your squirrel activities and photo of your acorn transferring activity in my Montessori-Inspired Squirrel and Nut Activities at