Friday, October 7, 2011

Squirrel Nest Craft and Fall Nature Tray

Squirrel nest craft, squirrel lesson plan

We've been talking about squirrels this week and recently learned about a squirrel's drey. So, we made a squirrel drey craft and added it to our fall nature tray.

squirrel craft for kids

Supplies
Paper plate (These were found in the Target dollar bins and were leftovers from our corn maze picnic)
Yellow shredded paper or hay
Dried leaves
Glue
Squirrel printable found at DLTK's

squirrel theme ideas

These are our two nonfiction books of the week.  Amazing Mammals is a fairly simple book that tells some characteristic about mammal and some interesting facts about a few specific mammals (no squirrels though).  The Eyewitness Book Mammals has mostly been for Little J to read.  It does have a few excerpts about squirrels that I paraphrased for Juiciness and Sassyfras.  It has a great picture of a squirrel's drey, their nest, and explained how their summer drey differed from their winter drey. 
squirrel craft for kids

I gave the kids plates with the center cut out.  They glued the shredded paper and leaves around the edges of it.  They also glued their squirrel together and glued it in its nest.

squirrel craft for kids

squirrel nest craft, squirrel lesson plans







9 comments :

Christy said...

great craft!

Deceptively Educational said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love how you tied the pattern of the plate into the project.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I had to check out what drey was - I learned something new today! Great craft.

Shauna said...

Your project turned out so cute. Perfect for the fall season. I am glad that I was able to find your blog through read-explore-learn, and I would love it if you stopped by and linked this darling post to my "All Things Wonderful Link Party".
Take care,
Shauna
myshaenoel.blogspot.com

April's Homemaking said...

How cute! What a great fall activity, and cute Squirrel craft!! ~April

atnumber29 said...

What a beautiful Autumn craft! I wouldn't have thought of this! I loved your tp squirrels too!

Amy said...

So cute! And you found the perfect plates to use! Would you consider linking to my kids' craft challenge?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/fall-craft-challenge-5-kids-craft-or.html

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

so cute! what a fun fall craft! Thanks for sharing on last week's Sunday Showcase. I hope to see you share more of your fun ideas this week.

Bern
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase