Friday, October 21, 2011

Grow a Candy Cane, Elfcapades

I know this feels super early to some of you, but the next couple of months are going to be super busy at this house.  I want Christmas to be special as always, but really relaxed.  So, a little planning now will help me enjoy the holidays. 

Grow a Candy Cane

Nicholas is our "elf on the shelf" that arrives shortly after Thanksgiving and stays until Santa picks him up on Christmas Eve.  He usually brings a little something with him.  Last year it was magic candy cane seeds.  The kids LOVED this.  Rumor has it that he is bringing them again this year. 

Magic candy canes
Small cellophane bags
Small treat bags (3 1/2in x 2in x 6 3/4in)
Peppermints (Magic seed)
Fake snow (aka Magic North Pole dirt)
Paper confetti or glitter (aka Magic North Pole fertilizer)
Card stock paper
Candy canes!
how to grow a magic candy cane
I think I will put enough of these treats together for the kids to give to their friends.  I see the parents routinely, so it would be easy to give them a candy cane to finish the magic at home.  When I figured up supplies, each gift comes in around 50 cents (using craft store coupons).


Sherri said...

Absolutely adorable!
You are really ahead of the game...I can't skip to Christmas yet..that is way too organized1 =)

April's Homemaking said...

What a super cute idea! What a fun activity to do with kids during the Christmas season- and a good little gift to pass out! ~April

Anonymous said...

Not to be dense but is the confetti the dirt or the magic fertilizer? Where do you plant the mint? So then when the kids wake up in the morning the candy cane is sticking up out of something? I'm trying to figure out what the mint candy and candy cane are sticking out of? Thanks for dumbing it down for the less crafty out there.

Little Wonders' Days said...

Hmmm, ok, I guess I need to print some little sticky labels for the bags so it's clear for the gifts.

The fake snow (magic North Pole dirt) is in the green treat bag.

The confetti is the magic North Pole fertilizer.

The kid plants the peppermint(the magic seed) in the fake snow in the green treat bag and then sprinkles it with confetti (magic fertilizer). I picked mulitcolored candy canes so that is why I did multicolored confetti. If I do standard candy canes, then I'll probably do red and white confetti.

Once the kiddo is sleeping, the parent then takes the peppermint out of the bag and replaces it with a candy cane so when the kid wakes up it looks like a candy cane has grown overnight. The candy cane will be in the green treat bag.

Last year, we used a clear bucket, but I've sinced used it for something else and the bags are less expensive.

Does this make sense now?


Lindsay said...

Very fun!! Sammy would love this!! I need to start getting things organized for myself too! I love all of the little fun Christmas things.. but its hard when life gets busy around the holidays to make time for the little things!

MaryAnne said...

This is such a cute idea! I love the elf on the shelf, too!

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a special magical treat. You are WAY ahead of the game here :)

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

This is so cute! My kids would absolutely adore this! Thanks for the great idea.

Charity Donovan said...

Love this idea...sooooo going to steal it!!! =) I saw this post the other day so I'll coordinate the 2 ideas:

Thanks again!

Little Wonders' Days said...

Charity, I love the blog you mention and her North Pole party is soooo cute. It would be a great idea to do this project with that breakfast. I may just do that too. Thanks for visiting.

Joyce said...

I have started thinking that I need to start thinking about Christmas, but that is as far as I've gotten. Haha. I LOVE this though. I think I'm going to add this to my list of things I must do this holiday season. Thanks so much for sharing your awesomeness!

peace love rainbows and cupcakes said...

those are adorable!!! pinning it now. I have a christmas ebook giveaway going on right now if your interested. Untangling Christmas

and at

Beth said...

LOVE this! We are totally going to do this. Thanks so much for sharing. You always have such great ideas!! I know you have your own link-up (which I love participating in every week), but I would love for you to link up at Living Life Intentionally’s Linky party - ~Beth

Michelle said...

Oh, that is so fun! My youngest's pre-school plants magic pumpkin seeds the day before their fall festival. The kids love it! What a fun spin for Christmas.

Michelle said...

Oh, that is so fun! My youngest's pre-school plants magic pumpkin seeds the day before their fall festival. The kids love it! What a fun spin for Christmas.

Elle Belles Bows said...


I am happy that you posted this!!

I told you last year that I adored it and am thrilled to have the reminder!


Aimee from Classified: Mom said...

This is so cute!- I just pinned it on Pinterest! Thank you for sharing this with us on The Sunday Showcase

Beth ( said...

I just wanted to let you know I featured your great idea at this weeks TGIF Linky Party #5 - - feel free to grab an I was Featured button if you like. Thanks again for linking up & I look forward to seeing more of your great ideas this week!!
Beth =-)

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

I'm thinking that I too will be taking this idea, as well as the North Pole Party idea... Guess I need to go get "Elf on a Shelf!"