Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fall Family Fun: A Corn Maze and a Picnic

corn maze, fall fun, fall picnic

We visited a corn maze for our Friday Fun.  It was a short drive out into the country to a beautiful and picturesque farm.  It was such a lovely place and the family that owned the farm was just as welcoming as could be.

corn maze, fall fun, fall picnic

Each year they create a detailed design that while you can't figure that out from the ground, the aerial photos are incredible.  They had a rather large kids maze that had the letters A-Z to find and then another large maze.  We zigzagged through both mazes.

fall family fun ideas

Fortunately, daddy was able to join us.  I was happy he could enjoy such a fun family time and I was thankful for his extra pair of hands.  If I haven't mentioned it before or you haven't figured this out yet, my kids are the high energy, full speed ahead kind of kids.  The kind that keep me in running shoes and sleeping well at night.  It would have been easy to loose someone in these mazes (although they are also on the loud side so it wouldn't have been for long).  We finally hemmed them in like ducklings, daddy in front and mommy in back.

how to sprout corn to observe

"From Kernel to Corncob" by Ellen Weiss is an easy to read book that tells the life cycle of corn and labels the parts of the plant.  We've read it a few times this week.

fall family picnic

I had planned to have dinner at home, but since daddy could join us I thought a picnic would be fun.  It was last minute, so I threw together a very quick and easy picnic dinner before we left the house.  I love making a big batch of sandwiches using Hawaiian rolls.  I just slice them in half, add the sandwich fillings, replace the top, and cut into individual sandwiches. Twelve mini sandwiches made in minutes.

easy picnic sandwiches


Our Menu
Ham and cheese mini sandwiches
pasta salad
strawberries
applesauce
berry lemonade
corn tortillas and salsa
pumpkin sugar cookies

fall family fun ideas

I prefer to make homemade cookies, but I think the ready to bake holiday cookies are so cute.  Sassyfras helped put these on a baking sheet while I made our sandwiches.

fall family fun ideas

We had such a wonderful time at this farm and stayed until the sun started to set.  It was a lovely and peaceful afternoon, definitely one that we will plan to do again.


I'll be hosting the Afterschool Linky Party tomorrow.  I hope you will come back and share some of your favorite posts of the week with us. 

10 comments :

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

You are my learning at home hero! We ave a corn maze visit planned. I'll have to copy the corn theme! Wonderful ideas.

Phyllis said...

What a lovely fall activity! We went to a corn maze once and after hours of walking through, they were only partly through! We decided it was too big for us!

Ticia said...

My kids saw the maze and wanted to know when we're going......

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

This is my favorite time of the year because of all the fun Halloween activities like corn mazes. I love your idea of taking a picnic dinner. What a fun family outing!!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love how you are always able to whip up terrific picnics on the fly. Sounds like a great trip.

Lindsay said...

What fun! Glad you had a second set of hands to tackle of the corn maze!

Emma @sciencesparkss said...

That looks like so much fun! We had a great time when we visited a corn maze! Thank you so much for linking up to Fun sparks.

Emma @sciencesparks

April's Homemaking said...

The corn maze sounds like a fun outing, as well as your fall picnic. I look forward to checking out more of your blog :) ~April

Jackie H. said...

Sounds like an a"maze"ing night! Your picnic looks yummy and beautiful too.

The Monko said...

I'm so jealous, we took our son to the corn maze (maize maze in the UK) and it was cancelled because the weather had been so bad the corn hadn't grown this year. boo hoo! Oh well maybe next year.