Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Harvest Moon Family Fun Night and Craft

Harvest Moon, Fall family fun night

We had a little harvest moon party last night.  My kids still get up with the chickens, so we saw the moon in the early morning.  They thought this was great since we never go out in the morning before the sun is up. 

Harvest Moon Family Fun Night

Little J helped me make dinner while Sassyfras and Juiciness finished their art project. 

Harvest Moon family fun night

We roasted a chicken with carrots, onions, and potatoes in a dutch oven.  To make this, I simply rinse and pat dry a large chicken sprinkle it with season salt, pepper, and a lemon thyme/dill spice mix.  Then put it in a dutch oven with a little fat free chicken stock along with sliced carrots, potatoes, and onions.  I baked it at 400 degrees until the chicken reached 180 degrees internally.

family fun night

We included a blessing for our farmers in our grace.

harvest moon craft for kids

Little J read the book, "I took the Moon for A Walk" by Carolyn Curtis to us earlier this evening.  This book has beautiful pictures and lovely rhyming text about a little boy who imagines a night walk with the moon.  In the back there is a bit of non fiction information about the phases of the moon.

harvest moon craft

They started their picture earlier in the day by painting and cutting out a harvest moon, the first full moon before the fall equinox.  Then they glued it to a piece of yellow construction paper.  I cut out a couple of tree silhouettes for them to paste on their pictures.  Juiciness requested googly eyes (another googly eye addict) for the trees. 

harvest moon craft

They painted fall leaves using pom poms.  They thought this was great fun and I thought this was a great fine motor activity!
harvest moon craft

The tree on the right is missing a googly eye...it was stuck to my shoulder. I usually don't find these things out until I'm someplace one generally doesn't want to discover they have a googly eye or anything else stuck to them.

We had a fun dessert for the night too (Caramel spoons and apple cider), more on that later though.



6 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

How wonderful! I love this activity and its result. We watched the harvest moon yesterday - it was beautiful!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've always thought it would be fun to collect books about the moon. You picked a good one to read. Alison Jay's crackly illustrations are lovely.

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

We are celebrating the Chinese Mid Autumn Moon Festival on Thursday night. Such sweet family times.

Ticia said...

Can I come over for dinner? That sounds delicious.

maggy, red ted art said...

Oh my your pictures are beautiful! I love them!!

And I would love some dinner too :-)

Thank you, again, for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Michelle said...

What a great project. Dinner looks delicious and the harvest moon paintings are amazing. We will have to check out this book, I think the girls would enjoy it.

Thank you for linking up to stART!