Sunday, September 11, 2011

Friday Fun, Science Museum

Little J's class has just started a science unit on sound.  I thought it would be fun to visit our local science museum that has a fantastic sound exhibit as our Friday Fun.  My aunt sends the kids a generous check for Christmas each year and I purchase a membership to a museum with it. She was a first grade teacher and I know this use makes her super happy. 

While we were there we stopped by the museum gift shop.  I was specifically looking for a book or simple project related to sound.   We found this fun rocket.


We also checked out several books from our library this weekend.
  • The Science Book of Sound by Neil Ardley
  • The Science of Sound and Music by Shar Levine and Leslie Johnstone
  • The Science of Sound Projects with Experiments in music and Sound Waves by Steve Parker

Linking to:

Science Sunday


Ticia said...

That looks like a fun find. And it would be very popular with boys.

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Have you seen this youtube video on sound:

Much of it will go over your kids' heads, most likely, but it is still quite an entertaining explanation of how our minds understand sound.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I think a science museum membership is an awesome gift. I am curious what J's school does for science?

Kelly said...

We lucked out again this year with a great teacher. She loves science (I think her husband is a scientist). They have a curriculum that will include life cycles, sound, states of matter, and a few other things that I can't remember right now. They bring in science kits, but I can tell this teacher does a lot of hands on extension activities.

Julie said...

Sounds like fun. Our local museum has a great exhibit on sound. I may have to do a lesson related to it...