Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fall Leaf Mosaics with Lentils

The leaves in our area are just starting to get a touch of color.  It's always exciting when we find a few red leaves here and there to collect.  It won't be long until we have a colorful show.

fall leaf mosaic, lentil mosaic, fall lesson plans

We made fall leaf mosaics after taking a short walk this afternoon.

fall leaf craft for kids

Supplies
Assorted lentils and beans
Construction paper
Glue and paint brush for spreading
Tooth picks for placing lentils if needed

fall leaf craft for kids

On each tray I placed a paper leaf cutout, glue and paint brush, a set of lentils, and a fall leaf for inspiration.
fall leaf lesson plans

Our go along book was Why Do Leaves Change Color? by Betsy Maestro.  This is a nonfiction book that explains in simple terms why the leaves change color and fall from the trees in autumn.  It's a bit above preschool comprehension, but with some paraphrasing it can work for them.
lentil mosaic with kids

This was just as much a sensory project as an art project for my bunch.  They loved how the lentils felt in their hands and enjoyed playing with them.
fall leaf craft for kids

It was a bit messier than I had anticipated, but not too bad.  I'll leave you with a few tips if you happen to do this project too.
  1. Place the bowls of lentils on the tray.  This might help keep them contained.
  2. Don't fill the bowls as full as I did, let them ask for more when needed.
  3. Don't expect the lentils to be sorted in their own little bowls when you finish.
  4. They will either use hardly any glue and lentils will fall everywhere or so much glue that it is dripping, work with it.
  5. Let them help clean up as much as they can and then have an independent activity set up for them.  I sent mine to have apple slices and water in the dining room while I finished the last details.
fall leaf craft for kids




18 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very cute craft! I don't think I ever had so many different lentils in my house :)

Janine said...

I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by my blog to pick it up!

Faithful in First

Joyce said...

Oh wow, how pretty! That looks like so much fun.

mermaid said...

Very beautiful leaves!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the texture in this project.

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

So pretty! Lentils, who knew! What a beautiful site you have. I just found you over at Red Ted art. I can't wait to surf your site and find more!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and the book sounds lovely too! Crafting with lentils is fun - so many different colours and shapes. Your leaf turned out wonderfully!

Thanks for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

April's Homemaking said...

I love this idea!! I am always looking for good ideas to use in my Sunday school or with my younger niece and nephew, this will be fun to try!!

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

I love these leaves! Beautiful! Very cute. I think we'll try this. My to do list is getting so long lately!

Have I invited you to the Kid Blogger Network on FB? http://www.facebook.com/groups/kidbloggers -- a place for like-minded bloggers who write about their kids - a great place to share and support each other. I hope you'll join :D

Marnie @ Carrots are Orange said...

Gorgeous!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

These are fabulous & I shared on Fb & would love for you to link to the Sunday Showcase as well - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bern

Michelle said...

Great idea-we're going to try it today. Last week when we were at the park a huge tree branch fell down so we collected a bunch of it's leaves. I think I'll glue those to the construction paper and then go from there!

Christie said...

Love these! Great kinder project too!

ideamamma said...

Grazie dell'idea, stasera ci proviamo anche noi!

Cherine M said...

This is a wonderful project!!! My kids will love it!!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

You're being featured on this week's Sunday Showcase! YAY! Thank you for sharing your fab fall craft with us and we look forward to seeing what you'll share this week!

Linky goes live tomorrow - be sure to stop by & get your snazzy featured button if you don't already have one! :)

Bern

Brooke @ Let Kids Create said...

These are fantastic! Love them!

Beth said...

This is so cool!! I love it! So fun & simple.