Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crockpot Applesauce Recipe

I have a ton of apples after our orchard outing last week.  I need to remember to put a limit on how many each child can pick next year!  So far, we've made baked apples and apple crisp and now we're on to applesauce.

crockpot applesauce recipe

We made crock pot applesauce today!  This year Sassyfras and Juiciness were able to help me cut the apples.  I peeled and cored them and handed over the big slices for them to chop.  They did a wonderful job and it really did help move the process along.

crockpot applesauce recipe

I decided to omit the sugar this year and see how we all liked it.  It is delicious!  This is a lot of cinnamon, so if you add a little at a time until you have it how you like it.  We also like things cinnamony, so if you don't reduce or omit the cinnamon.  To cook it, we put all the ingredients in the crockpot and turned it on high, stirring once and awhile. It took about 6 hours to get it nice and soft. 

crockpot applesauce recipe

They used a butter knife for cutting the apples.  It was the perfect size and not too sharp.

crockpot applesauce recipe

We had some for breakfast this morning and it was so good!


Phyllis said...

My seven-year old loved making crockpot applesauce this year, too. Yours came out a lovely color. So much fun and the house smells this lovely fall smell when you make it, doesn't it?

Jenni R. said...

We recently let the girls help cut our pears for a small monetary reward (above other chores). I made pear sauce on the stove top but I think I'll try your way next!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Crockpot applesauce sounds like a great idea. I am impressed that your twins are cutting already (and doing such a great job).

The Princess and the Tot said...

Super Tot's favorite thing to eat is applesauce. I can't imagine how excited he will be to make his own! Thank you for posting this fun activity!

Christy said...

looks good!

Lindsay said...

yum!! I can't wait to go apple picking! :-)

Andrea said...

thanks for the idea! we did this, this afternoon:)
~Jada Roo Can Do

Mommie of Three said...

Thanks for posting this idea. We just made mini apple pies with our apples in cooking class and used our butter knives which worked perfectly too. I'd love for you to visit my blog at www.theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com for more apple ideas.

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Thank you for sharing this at Beneath the Rowan Tree~ I am featuring it at this week's Playdate link party, so come and snag a 'featured button' and play some more!


Aimee from Classified: Mom said...

We are going apple picking this weekend- you just gave me an idea for all the apples! Thank you for sharing this on The Sunday Showcase.