Monday, September 26, 2011

How to Make Cornmeal Play Dough, Corn Theme Week

corn meal play dough

We're doing a corn themed week.  So, don't pay us any mind if we get too corny for you! 

corn meal play dough

We started out trying a no cook cornmeal play dough recipe I found, but it just didn't turn out too well.  In the end, I made our traditional cooked play dough with a couple of changes.   

Cornmeal play dough activities

 Along with our cornmeal play dough, I put out fall themed cookie cutters, mini muffin pans, mini muffin liners, rolling pins, and some food picks made from toothpicks and foam stickers.

corn meal play dough

corn meal play dough

corn meal play dough
 
To make our cornmeal play dough:
2 cups of flour
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of cornmeal (I had coarse meal)
1/2 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
A couple of drops of yellow food coloring

Mix all the ingredients together in a pot over medium heat stirring until a ball forms and the consistency is thick like play dough. Remove from heat and allow to cool, then knead smooth.


Linking to:  Made By Little Hands Monday, ABC and 123 Show and Tell, The Sunday Showcase, Montessori Monday, A Crafty Soiree, It's Playtime!, Made By You Monday

10 comments :

Christy said...

Nice! I have a huge bag of cornmeal - I might have to try this!

Wonder Mom said...

I have been wanting a special playdough for our November lessons, and I think i have now found it! AWESOME!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I made a cornbread salad last week and crumbled my cornbread. It has such an interesting texture. I'm sure the cornmeal playdough feels kind of the same. What an unusual playdough recipe!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

oh, I never thought of using cornmeal! How fun & creative! A fab sensory experience for a corn theme!

Would love to have you link up to the Sunday Showcase (open thru Thurs.) - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bern

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What a fun project for the little ones:)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Cornmeal playdough? Sounds fun! I really need to find time and do our regular homemade playdoh again.

Deb Chitwood said...

What a great idea for fall! I always loved mini muffin pans, too! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Mandi said...

Cornmeal playdough is an awesome idea! We're going to pick up a big bag of dry corn this weekend for the kids to play in, and I think cornmeal play dough would be a perfect thing to tie in with that theme! :) We made some pumpkin play dough this week! I would love it if you stopped by my blog to check it out!
Mandi at BBM

Erin said...

We made not only the playdough, but the "fall toothpicks" today. The kids LOVED it and had so much fun. My daughter especially loved the toothpicks, what a great idea. We will be doing this again!

Deb Chitwood said...

You have such awesome playdough activities, Kelly! I had a great time revisiting your playdough posts! I featured your post and photo in my Montessori-Inspired Fall Playdough Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/10/08/montessori-inspired-fall-playdough-activities/