Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Preschool Corn Theme Activities

Practical Life

montessori inspired spooning work, corn theme

I set out some Indian corn colored beads for S and J to spoon.  They spent a lot of time doing this.  I was sort of surprised that they enjoyed this so much still.

fall montessori works, fall theme

corn rubbing plate

Little J let us borrow a Lego board for our next activity.  I placed some crayon rocks, the Lego board, and some yellow construction paper on a tray.  I love crayon rocks.  Since they are small and round, they pretty well force the user to hold them in  a pencil grip.  If you try to hold them in a fist you generally cover the crayon and can't get to the color.

corn preschool theme, fall fun, corn art

I showed them how to place the paper over the Lego board and rub the crayons across it.  It makes a great pattern of corn.  I cut them into corn shapes and the kids glued dried corn husks to them.  (My husband saw the corn husks drying and excitedly asked, "Are you going to make tamales?"  Sorry dear.

Fine Motor/Math

preschool fine motor activities

Using the same Indian corn colored beads, I made a pattern on a chenille stem and demonstrated how to string the beads on the stem and follow the pattern.  Sassyfras loved doing this activity and caught right on to the pattern.  Juiciness just wanted to string the beads and not follow the pattern.  It was clear he understood the pattern, he just wanted to do his own thing.

Preschool corn theme week ideas

We turned them into little bracelets by twisting the ends together and trimming them.

You can see the rest of our "Corn Theme Week" here.


Discovering Montessori said...

Fantastic ideas!! Thank you for sharing.

Lindsay said...

Great activities!! I love how the rubbed Lego board turned out and I am going to borrow that idea for sure!

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

My kids love stringing beads on chenille stems like this, but we haven't done it in ages. Thanks for the reminder!

I love the lego board for corn!

maggy, red ted art said...

A fabulous set of activities! And love the little bracelet at the end!

Thank you for liking to Kids Get Crafty!


Brimful Curiosities said...

The Lego board rubbing does look like corn! Very creative. I'll have to try it with my kids later.

Liberty said...

I love the idea of color rubbing a lego board -- brilliant! Thank You for sharing! Visiting from ABC 123 :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the Lego board idea!

ideamamma said...

Molto carine queste pannocchie, le faremo anche noi :)

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

so many fun & hands-on corn activities! I shared on FB - LOVE the lego corn!!!!

Would love for you to share on the Sunday Showcase - it's still open!


Deb Chitwood said...

Great corn activities! I'll have to do an Indian corn activity of the week or a Montessori-inspired corn unit sometime this fall. These and your cornmeal playdough would be wonderful activities for that! Deb @

Lori @ La-La's Home Daycare said...

Those are such great ideas!
I may borrow this idea myself!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase! I hope to do this with my girls - think they'd enjoy stamping with something that we don't usually use!

Hope to see you on this week's Sunday Showcase -


Deb @ Living Montessori Now said...

I just featured your Indian corn colored bead stringing photo and corn theme posts in my Montessori-Inspired Corn Unit at