Thursday, September 8, 2011

Apple Pie Play Dough Tray

I made a batch of apple pie scented play dough today. It's been quite while since I last made homemade play dough. I just used our regular recipe and added a lot of red food coloring and apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice).

apple pie play dough, apple preschool theme

Our basket has rolling pins, fall themed cookie cutters, an empty apple pie spice container, some mini pie tins, some apple stems (pieces of twigs) and a card with the word "apple" written on it.

Apple pie play dough, apple preschool theme



Apple pie play dough, apple preschool theme

I saw the idea of adding apple stems at My Montessori Journey and thought is was really cute.  They also added little leaves to them.

apple play dough recipe


Apple pie play dough, apple preschool theme


apple pie play dough recipe

Our go along book for our activity was Clifford "Picking Apples and Pumpkins". In this book, Clifford goes on the class field trip to a farm. He saves the day when the tractor breaks down by pulling the wagon of children to the apple orchard and pumpkin field. The kids enjoyed it, but do you want to know what they argued about in the basket? Who got to hold the card with the word "apple" on it! Who knew.

apple lesson plans for preschoolers

We did a bunch of fun apple themed activities last fall.  If you're interested, just search under the label "Apple Theme" to find them.  We'll be doing more activities with apples this year, but adding more depth to our lessons.


19 comments :

Christy said...

I made this last fall and it was a big hit here. I'm not sure if I like this or pumpkin pie play dough better.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

So much fun! I love crafting around apples. I think I will try this with my 3 year old. She loves playdough so much.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Another good one to put on the list!

Jackie H. said...

I LOVE the real stems. We are definitely going to try this one... and Clifford books are a big hit at our house so thanks for the go-along.

Deborah said...

I Love the stems too! Super fun idea!

icedcapgl said...

Awesome activity! Love the "pie" idea with all of the ingredients! Will use it for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year where we add "A Sweet New Year" by dipping apples in honey. We focus on apples a lot!~ Thanks so much!

Stacy@{share and remember} said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. It all looks so cute in the basket.

Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon said...

We are studying trees this month and the apple orchard is on our to-do list. This activity looks great. I am excited to go through the archives too. Fun, fun, fun!

Jessica said...

Apple pie scented playdough, goning to have to try that here I think:)Thankyou for the great idea!

Sarah said...

Great idea! Can't wait to use it in my classroom for apple week :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is an awesome idea to add twigs. I need to do a homemade playdoh again one of these days too.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

fun adding the twigs & scents! we are working on our apple theme this week - so many fab ideas can't wait to get started!

Would love for you to come link up some of your kid friendly activities to my child centered linky party The Sunday Showcase - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bernadette

maggy, red ted art said...

Oh I do love the real sticks. They make the apples really adorable. What a lovely activity and craft :-)

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Michelle said...

What a cute idea! Love to use this for Johnny Appleseed day for my sons kindergarten class. Do you have a link to your regular play dough recipe?

Kim from The Educators' Spin On It said...

I love your playdough idea for apple pie. We just finished making apple pies in cooking class and I think this will be a great follow up. I just posted our cooking lesson for Apple Pie on our blog, come check it out. Thanks!

Mommy 2 Emmau said...

LoVe this!! We're doing leaves this week and I was leaning towards apples next week...this just made my decision! (: Can't wait for that scent to fill my home and my daugter loves play-dough! It's sure to be a hit! Thanks

Tonya said...

I would love to try this. Where can I find the dough recipe?

Little Wonders' Days said...

The basic play dough recipe I use is this:

Mix together in a pot:
2 cups of flour
2 cups of water
1 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

If it is going to be one color, then I add the food coloring to the pot (it's easier to mix this way).

Stir over medium heat until it starts to form a ball. When it is play dough like in consistency, I remove it from the heat and let it cool until I can knead it smooth.

Hope this helps,

Kelly

Mary said...

T H A N K you for sharing such fun idea. I like the idea of adding spices, which gives it a nice fragrance, compare to regular homemade playdough. Best, Mary