Sunday, August 21, 2011

It IS Rocket Science!

rockets with kids

Little J received an Estes Rocket for his birthday and we launched it yesterday.  He and Daddy sat down and put it together, discussed safety, and planned where to launch it in the morning and by afternoon, it was time for countdown.

Estes Rocket

estes rockets with dad

Little J launched the rocket under Daddy's constant supervision and Sassyfras, Juiciness, and I watched from the sidelines.

Flying an Estes Rocket with Dad

I'll have to admit, it was pretty exciting and fun to watch.  All the kids ran to it as it came floating down from the sky.


Last night before bed, Little J and I read from his book, "Mighty Machines".  Today, I printed off some lesson plans from the Estes Rocket website (they have great lesson plans) and we'll work through some of them this week.  We also visited the NASA website to learn more about real space exploration.

Linking to:  It's Playtime
Science Sunday


Raising a Happy Child said...

This is a great present. I have to look into the rockets when daughter is older!

Ticia said...

My brother used to make model rockets and he loved them. Great job on the pictures.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

How fun! My husband would love doing this with my boys!

Phyllis said...

We did this for a class at our co-op and we never did find some of them!
Great photos! They are hard to capture.

Rug Cleaning Santa Monica said...

This looks like so much fun! I miss being a kid :)

Mandi said...

I love this! Our oldest son would really get a kick out of making a rocket. That's something we haven't tried yet! I'm excited to show him your post! :) Visiting from the It's Playtime hop! I would love it if you stopped by my blog to say hi! :)

Mandi at