Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homemade Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe, Summer Bucket List

bread and butter pickles recipe

My mother in law made homemade bread and butter pickles earlier this summer and shared this recipe with me.  I knew we had to try it, they were delicious and the recipe was very easy!  They are refrigerator pickles, so there is no canning involved.

homemade bread and butter pickles

We tried to find pickling cucumbers at the farmers market, but just found your every day ones (they were just fine though).  Each of the kids cut one cucumber with a crinkle cutter. 

homemade bread and butter pickle recipe

They often use the crinkle cutter when helping with snack prep.  Cucumbers, carrots, celery, bananas, and even apples are good to prepare with this tool.

bread and butter pickles
Ingredients
Cucumbers washed and sliced
1 onion sliced
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
4 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp kosher salt
Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil—lower heat and simmer 5 min, stirring occasionally. If you cook too long, they get too soft.  Remove from heat and store in the refrigerator.

bread and butter pickles

My kids love to help cook.  They share responsibilities according to their abilities independently or try new skills with some help.  Little J reads the recipes and helps direct.  He also is responsible for figuring out amounts and what utensils to use.

And yes, they are so excited to be right up in the action that they are sitting on the kitchen table!

bread and butter pickles via Little Wonders' Days

Sassyfras and Juiciness are still working on scooping and pouring neatly, but do a great job for the most part. There are several Montessori sites that show the progression of these practical life skills and I have found them helpful in teaching the kids. Montessori Mom and Living Montessori Now are a couple of great sites.

bread and butter pickles
I found these cute jar toppers at Tip Junkie and added "Pickles, made with love by ..."  Once we finished cleaning up, we headed over to Grammy and Pop's to drop off some of our delicious pickles.  The kids were so happy and proud to present their work.







12 comments :

Christy said...

Sounds good!

Plum said...

Those look yummy!

Denise said...

The hubby loves pickles. I will have to make him your Homemade Bread and Butter Pickles.

Stop by and link up at What’s Cooking Wednesday!

http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com/2011/08/whats-your-favorite-cookbook.html

Barb said...

So inspiring! your photos and the recipe - I love that you used the crinkle cutter!

Phyllis said...

What a sweet idea.

maggy, red ted art said...

Mmmh delicious! And great to get the kids involved!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Nicole said...

What a great post and such a fun way to involve your kids! My boys are looking forward to making pickles this year too. Thanks for linking to Montessori Monday! :)

Deb Chitwood said...

Great idea for a summer project! I love the attractive way you prepared your tray, too! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Something Swanky said...

Love this idea! I'm going to have to call my husband and have him pick up some cucumbers on his way home from work :)

Pinning and stumbling this! And your newest follower- would love a follow back when you get the chance!

Ashton
http://www.somethingswanky.com
{Sweet Treats Thursday} Thu-Sun

Amy said...

How nice. I've never made pickles before...thanks for sharing.

My blog turns 1 today and I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog as a way to say thank you for your supports in the past year. Please come over to check it out if you're interested. http://utry.it

Michelle said...

I love it, we have some cucumbers we need to use up I think I will try this with them...how long do they last in the jars in the refrigerator if you don't preserve them and just use them right away???

Kelli Becton said...

we have a link up called Kids in the kitchen on Tuesdays - I'd love it if you'd join! pinned this - I'm joining your bucket list 2012 :)