Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fruit Tasting, Summer Bucket List

Ape 2 Zebra had a fun idea to try two new fruits this summer as part of their summer bucket list and we did it this past week.  We sort of did this as not part of our summer bucket list when we were in Miami with Nana.  We had visited a renown tropical fruit stand in south Florida and each of the kids picks a fruit, some very exotic, to taste.  You can see that post here and here, it was pretty fun.

Photobucket

This time however, I decided that I would be the one to pick the fruits and hopefully, ensure that we tried something that they would really like.  I picked California green figs and a papaya.  I've had both, but they have never tried them before.  The papaya needed a few days to finish ripening, but we tried the figs with breakfast right away.

fruit tasting, summer bucket list

The kids thought they were very pretty and liked the pinkish-red centers.
summer bucket list, fruit tasting

Juiciness and Sassyfras enjoyed them, but Little J wasn't crazy about them.  I saved a few for my husband and I to enjoy for dessert later that night.

summer bucket list, fruit tasting

I cut the papaya up for breakfast one morning as well.  Sassyfras approached the papaya very carefully, and only liked it a little.  Juiciness had a full serving, big surprise...not!  And Little J, well he checked it out, smelled it, and then would only lick it.  I guess we'll only get a papaya from time to time.


I found this You Tube video helpful when cutting our papaya.

7 comments :

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Fruit tasting is such a great idea! you are very lucky in Florida to have such variety of tropical fruits grown in-state. Sometimes we hit our Asian market for different fruits (lychee, different mangoes, etc.) to try something new (they are not locally grown though).

Christy said...

Great idea! I don't think I have ever eaten either of those!

Sherri said...

I have been wanting to do a fruit taste test all summer....instead we did a cheesecake one! =) Fruit is much healthier!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the idea of fruit tasting. We have to try more new foods here as well, especially right now in the summer.

Jen said...

That is a great idea. I just tried figs a couple of weeks ago at my friend's house.

karen said...

I love trying new fruits! We just moved to a house with a fig tree so ill be trying figs soon, hope I like them

April's Homemaking said...

I used to love doing things like this when my kids were younger, it is fun to explore different produce. Perfect activity for the summer!!