Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Flower Names and Flower Pressing


Photobucket
Sunflowers don't grow in our garden, but I just had to including this iconic summer flower.

One of our summer bucket list activities was to learn the names of the flowers in our garden.  We've slowly been doing this over the season as we worked in the garden or picked flowers for the table.  Little J pretty well knows the names and enjoyed helping Sassyfras and Juiciness learn them. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

I took pictures of some of the summer blooming flowers and turned them into 3 part cards for the kids.  You can read about how to use 3 part cards here, a resource found at Living Montessori Now

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We've also enjoyed our flower press that Grandma sent us.  The kids had fun picking the flowers and making little arrangements on the papers.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

When we first opened the press, Sassyfras hollered, "Oh no!  What happened to my flowers?"  I didn't think to prepare her that they wouldn't look like they did when we put them in it.  She was upset for a short bit before I could convince her that they were supposed to look this way.




Linking to:  ABC and 123, Red Ted Art's Blog, It's Playtime, The Magic Onions Friday Nature Table






7 comments :

Christy said...

Awww, I wouldn't have thought to prepare her for that either. We have a flower press that we haven't used yet. I should make a point to do that before the summer is over.

Phyllis said...

What a lovely project. I had to smile when she said, "What happened to my flower!" :)

Ticia said...

I wish enough flowers grew here that I'd be willing to press some. Sigh, flowers......

Raising a Happy Child said...

Too funny about Sassyfras's reaction, but I love your idea to learn flower names. Now I wish someone would come here and identify our garden flowers :)

maggy, red ted art said...

Bless her!I guess it reminds us how we take things for granted and that for children things are always new! I do love your part cards though and your flower pressing. Lovely!

Thanks for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Deb Chitwood said...

I love that you used photographs from your garden to make your cards - and thanks for linking to me in your post! What a lovely mini unit on flowers! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

themagiconions said...

lol... I love hearing her reaction to her newly pressed flowers... made me remember when we made flower and herb ice cubes to melt in the bath... we spent all day waiting for bath time. However, when they actually started melting and the herbs started to float in the water, Teddy went beserk trying to get out of the bath, terror on his face... as if he thought they were going to eat him or something. We never can quite anticipate everything, can we.