Monday, August 15, 2011

Back to School, Traveling Story Hour

Photobucket
School starts in a couple of weeks for us.  Fortunately, all of the schools for the kids are in walking distance from our house.  Today, we gathered up some books and took a practice walk to the schools. 

Our Book List
Biscuit Goes to School by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
Arthur and the School Pet by Marc Brown (more a Christmas story, but talks about the class pet)
Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London
Who Will Go To Kindergarten Today?  by Karl Ruhmann
Welcome to Kindergarten by Ann Rockwell

Photobucket

Little J was excited to see his playground again and to show Juiciness and Sassyfras how to swing.

Photobucket

We played at each playground a bit and then read some of our stories. We finished by walking to the little grocery store and having popsicles for snack before heading home. The kids started talking about school and asking questions during snack time. We had a nice chat about school and I think everyone is pretty excited.

Photobucket
Last week my fabulous in-laws kept a couple of kids on various days to let me take each one of them out individually for a bit. I took each of them for back to school clothes, shoes, and haircuts. Then we went to their favorite spot for lunch (you can probably guess how many times I ate at McDonald's) and frozen yogurt.
Photobucket
Each one also picked some special play time with me.  Sassyfras wanted to play in the playroom at the hair dressers, Juiciness wanted to play at the train table at B&N (I have no idea what the appeal is since we have a nice train table), and Little J wanted to go to the pool.  It was a very enjoyable week.


Photobucket














8 comments :

Ticia said...

Way more than you cared to would be my guess. I'm not a big fan of McDonalds either.

Christy said...

How nice that you got some one on one time. We walk to our elementary school to play on the playground pretty regularly; I love the idea of having story time there.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the idea of a story time at a school playground. Our school starts next week and daughter is terrified. Hopefully it will be better after "meet the teacher" day this Friday.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Wish we could walk to school. Both my kids (even my little guy that hasn't started yet) are a little too familiar with school, especially the photocopying area because I've spent so much time there working on PTO projects!

One-on-one time with your kids is the best. My daughter and I took a walk together last night.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Wish we could walk to school. Both my kids (even my little guy that hasn't started yet) are a little too familiar with school, especially the photocopying area because I've spent so much time there working on PTO projects!

One-on-one time with your kids is the best. My daughter and I took a walk together last night.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love how you used the books to spur on a discussion.

I hope you will link this post to my Back to School Traditions link up this Sunday.

This post counts as an entry in the Summer Reading Challenge.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

Great idea having story time at the school playground! It sounds like you still had fabulous one-on-one time with the kiddos even if i was at the parent's least favorite place on Earth. hahaha!

Anne@LittleSproutBooks said...

Sounds like lots of fun school readiness activities. I'm hoping to go over to my son's school soon, but they've had it under renovation all summer so not much access. The one on one time is so special. We are also blessed to have family help so we can have some of those special experiences too!