Friday, July 29, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are, Family Fun Night!

Family Fun Night Ideas

We did a themed family fun night the weekend before last. It centered it around Maurice Sendak's book, Where the Wild Things Are.  My kids love this book.  We didn't watch the movie as I've heard mixed reviews about what age this movie is appropriate for, but we did enjoy a lot of fun projects and another reading of the book for one of our bedtime stories.
Family fun night ideas

I found the wild things plates in the dollar section of Target some time ago.  While I prepared dinner, I had the kids play on the deck with a little sprinkler and bubbles.  Dinner was a simple grilled hot dogs, corn on the cob, and fruit salad on the deck.

where the wild things are party food

I saw this idea of writing on flat marshmallows at Katherine Marie Photography and couldn't wait to do it.  Using food markers, I wrote words associated with Where the Wild Things Are on them.  Then, I asked Little J to tell us whether they were nouns, verbs, or adjectives. This was a fun way to get in a little teaching.

where the wild things are party food

Then we took those nouns, verbs, and adjectives and turned them into s'mores! They were delicious (adj)!

Where the Wild Things Are activities

where the wild things are
Sassyfras enjoyed her s'more!


14 comments :

Wonder Mom said...

What a fun-filled, WILD RUMPUS!

Lindsay said...

What a fun night! I have never seen flat marshmallows before!

Christy said...

That is a fun theme night!

Child Care Aware® of Central Missouri said...

Love this idea! I'd never seen the flat marshmallows either. Did you buy them that way, or flatten regular ones?

Plum said...

What fun! New follower from HGF!
http://13plumconfessions.blogspot.com

Little Wonders' Days said...

The flat marshmallows are by Kraft and I found them in our grocery right next to the regular ones. We put the s'mores on foil and they puffed up nice, but I'm not sure how they would do on a regular roasting stick.

Delaney said...

Love that story! How fun!

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is a great way to celebrate a great book. Love the marshmallow writing. Why am I not surprised that you have food markers?

Ticia said...

love the flat marshmallows. I need to remember that for my marshmallow loving kids.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

What fun! I have not shared the film with my girls either because I have heard the content is geared to older themes. We love the story and I really like how you have interpreted it. I have never seen flat marshmallows before, I will have to check if they are in Canada (we don't sniff have target either - so I am really saddened that we missed out on those awesome plates!). I love your family theme night posts.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This counts as an entry in the Summer Reading Challenge. Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Food writing looks like fun! What a great way to review words!

Jamie said...

Great idea. Love the marshmallows. More the Merrier Monday will be open until Wednesday at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your party ideas. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Aimee from Classified: Mom said...

Oh no- what happened to your photos? This idea sounds brilliant though! Thank you for linking this post up to The Sunday Showcase!

Elle Belles Bows said...

What a great night!!! You guys have so much fun as a family!

Love the marshmallow idea too!!

Kerri