Thursday, July 7, 2011

{Try} to Grow a Pineapple Plant, Summer Bucket List

Photobucket

Today's summer bucket list pull was "{Try} to grow a pineapple plant".  Yum, that means we'll have pineapple for snack today!

Photobucket

We used these websites here and here to find out how to start our own pineapple plant.  While I'm fairly skeptical that we will be successful, it will be fun to try. 

Photobucket

After a quick trip to the grocery to purchase a ripe pineapple, we started by removing the top.  We went with the method of holding onto the leaves and giving a good twist.  Off came the leaves and some of the fleshy crown.  Little J wanted to try to scoop the flesh from the top, but in the end, I used kitchen scissors to cut away the fruit and some leaves.

Photobucket

The end needs to dry out for a couple of days before we can proceed with sprouting some roots.  I think we're going to set it in some water before we plant it, like the first website suggest.

Don't ask me what I'm going to do with it if it does happen to sprout and survive!  I guess we'll have to find a warm sunny place for it this fall.  Papa is from Hawaii, maybe he can give us some tips...

Photobucket

Science Sunday

11 comments :

Lindsay said...

What a great bucket list activity! I hope it sprouts for you guys!

Christy said...

I can't wait to find out what happens. We love pineapple!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Oh, I am curious to see if it sprouts. I love pineapples, but only canned. Fresh pineapples make my mouth burn, maybe some sort of an allergy?

Terri said...

What a fun idea & a great science experiment! I hope it sprouts for you!

Jen said...

We have been trying to grow a pineapple as well, it got some fresh green that sprouted, but no roots growing, so strange! Good luck with yours! :D

Child Care Aware® of Central Missouri said...

What a great idea! I didn't even know you could grow a pineapple plant that way. I'll have to try this one.

SmileMonsters said...

I have wanted to try this but never have. You will have to update us on it's progress!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Jen said...

yeah we put ours in a shallow pan of dirt, that's what DH read to do. IDK, my friend said she put hers in water and it rooted...lol But he is in charge of all things plant life! I have a black thumb! haha

anna said...

I love your bucket list! And I hope your pineapple grows very speedily :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've wanted to try that with the kids for a long time - can't wait to see how it comes out!

As to Raising a Happy Child - it's the protien eating enzyme in the fresh pineapple, that makes your mouth burn - the same reason you can't use it in Jell-O.

Deceptively Educational said...

I've always been curious about how a pineapple grows. What a fun experiment! Thanks for sharing!