Tuesday, July 26, 2011

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Shell! Traveling Story Hour

We did a traveling story hour at the beach this past week. We recently spent some time on Corolla, a part of the northern Outer Banks of NC.  I brought the book, "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!" by Lucille Colandro with us.  This is such a cute book with great rhyming and repeating text and a funny ending that even my oldest enjoyed.

beach activities for kids

I also brought along some wooden treasure boxes, paint, and paint brushes.  We read our book under the shade of our beach umbrella while we snacked on some juicy watermelon slices.  The kids declined painting their treasure boxes at the time, but happily went to work on the other project idea that fits perfectly with this book- building a sand castle!

Beach crafts for kids

How to make a treasure box for kids
However, they were excited to paint their boxes once off the beach.  We glued a fighting conch shells (we found these on Sanibel Island while on our road trip with Nana) to the tops.  Now they have a little place to keep some of their beach treasures!
shell treasure box for kids

Sassyfras and Juiciness have their boxes filled with beach finds, like shells and pebbles.  Little J has filled his with none other than shark teeth. (not found on this beach)

Other Traveling Story Hours


Linking to:  ABC and 123, The Imagination Tree, Kids Get Crafty, Read Explore Learn, Smart Summer Challenge

11 comments :

Christy said...

I love your traveling story hour series! So clever. We are also big fans of that series of books - always funny!

Michelle said...

Very cute boxes! Love the shell on top!!

Phyllis said...

I really like the traveling storytime idea. I will have to add it to my summer bucket list next year.

sara d. said...

great idea!

ps...i LOVE the outer banks, jealous! :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very nice! I was going to be surprised that your little ones agreed to paint on the beach, but then I read on. There is just too much going on for doing things that can be done elsewhere :)

RedTedArt said...

How lovely - what a great idea - love travel storytime.. we will have to incorporate it into our holidays!

Thank you for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Lynn said...

Great book!! Love the boxes!! The shell on top makes it just perfect!!

Tracey M. said...

We love rhyming stories here too! I love the traveling story book idea.

I just requested that my library purchase The Ice Cream King. It looks like a very fun book.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This counts as an entry in the Summer Reading Challenge. Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.


I love your travel stories. The treasure box is a wonderful idea!

Cortney said...

I just love your traveling story hours. And I can think of no better place to read than the beach!

Isil said...

What a great idea! Boxes are lovely.
I have a weekly meme called Book Sharing Monday where we share our favorite children's books. Woud love for you to link up.
http://smilinglikesunshine1.blogspot.com/2011/08/book-sharing-mondaywinnie-witch.html
Thanks.