Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer Beach Fun


We recently visited the Corolla along the NC Outer Banks.  It's probably been a good ten years since I've been here and I was amazed at how much this area has changed.  It's still beautiful, just much more developed than in the past.  In the evenings we enjoyed great seafood, fun shops, and playing in the pool.



The kids love playing in the sand and along the shore.  I think they would stay out all day if you let them.  There aren't as many shells here as in Sanibel, but there were plenty of interesting beach finds, more on that later.


We visited the Wright Brothers National Memorial, a planned activity on our summer bucket list. 

This is really a very nice National Park.  The kids, especially Little J, were pretty interested in seeing the exhibits.  You can find some on line information for lesson plans here.


We also visited Jockey's Ridge, a state park that has the tallest sand dunes on the Eastern coast.  The dunes really are quite impressive.  Unfortunately, the sand was super hot, too hot for little feet, so we only walked out a short way before turning back.  We'll have to visit in cooler weather to really play here.


On our way home we drove a short way along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.  Such a beautiful place.  I'm so glad some of this beautiful shore has been saved from development.


Creative and Curious Kids! said...

Wonderful pics! It looks like such a great time. I can't wait to take my kids to the ocean. They've only been to lake beaches.

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Christy said...

Beautiful pictures!

Raising a Happy Child said...

It looks like a great trip. So the water was cold there too, eh?

Sherri said...

North Carolina is the number place that I want to go...or South Carolina...we have never been!
Now I feel like I want to go now!
Your such a great, and fantastic mom!

Kelly said...

Looks like an amazing time! I love the ocean! I am your newest follower from Field Trip Friday :)

Jen said...

We are big beach fans here! Looks like fun was had! Thanks for linking up with me!

softearthart said...

Cool pictures, cheers Marie

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

We went to the Outer Banks two summers ago. It is one of most beautiful places in North America. Since you recently visited, I wanted to share this post about a family's recent visit to the banks and shark attack. I couldn't believe it!