Friday, July 22, 2011

Making Shark Tooth Necklaces, Summer Bucket List

One of our summer bucket list items was to make shark tooth necklaces.  Little J pulled that slip today!  While he and I worked on making the necklaces, Sassyfras and Juiciness played with pop beads. 

how to make a shark tooth necklace

I've beaded for about ten years, but I've never really gotten into doing wire wrapping.  I found this website helpful in deciding how best to wire the tooth. 

how to make a shark tooth necklace

Little J had fun designing his necklaces.  He used palm tree trinkets and some wooden beads on leather strands.

Supplies
shark teeth
20g wire
jump rings
leather cording
trinkets and beads
clasps
beading pliers and cutters

shark tooth necklace

I'm trying to decide if we should make enough of these for party favors at Little J's birthday next month (he's having a shark themed party) or if it should be an activity at the party and then be a take home.
Photobucket
Sassyfras and Juiciness had a great time playing with their pop beads.  The beads require pretty good hand strength and coordination to use, but they were able to do it.

10 comments :

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Love these ! In 1979 I had a shark tooth necklace that I treasured like no other. Wonderful activity.

Stephanie said...

I love shark teeth! I so wish we were near the sea, so my babes could collect them!

Phyllis said...

I love this idea. I am adding it to my summer list next year!

Donna said...

Did you find that shark tooth or did you buy it? I would like to find one, that craft looks so cool!
Donna
http://homeschoolingsunnyflorida.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Hi Donna,
Little J has a pretty good collection of shark teeth that he has found, but I bought these at the beach.

April's Homemaking said...

My son loves Shark tooth necklaces, everytime we are at the coast he looks for new ones, I had never thought to make one, we have aquired plenty of shark teeth over the years, we will have to try making our own. What a fun activity, thanks!! ~April

julie said...

That's on our list this summer, too! The girlies went "fossil digging" at Dinosaur World in Florida a couple of months ago, with strict instructions from me to bring home shark teeth for necklaces.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Beautiful necklace. I have never seen shark teeth outside of the museum. How neat that you have enough for the whole birthday party!

mommyof3tx said...

I know this is a really old post but hoping you can help :) My boys are SO into sharks tooth necklaces but we don't live near the beach. Any chance you know somewhere I could order them so we could make these?

Little Wonders' Days said...

Hello Mommy of 3Tx,

Unfortunately, our teeth were purchased at a beach store, so I haven't done much looking around on line. Have you tried eBay or a local science museum? Santa did buy a megalodon tooth from eBay a couple of years ago. Hope this helps a little.

Kelly