Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Have You Got My Purr? Traveling Story Hour

Photobucket

We took a little drive into the country to visit a farm yesterday.  I grabbed the book, "Have You Got My Purr?" by Judy West to take with us.  I also packed up some drinks as well as some farm animal stamps, stamp pads, colored pencils, and paper pads.

Photobucket

"Have You Got My Purr" is a sweet book about a kitten worried that she has lost her purr.  She talks to all the animals living on the farm in an attempt to find her purr.  In the end, her mother assures her that when she is happy, she will find her purr.  This is such a sweet book.

Photobucket

After seeing some animals on the farm, we took a break to read the book and talk about the job of each animal on the farm.  Then, I set out the drinks and art supplies and let them play for awhile.  When they finished, we headed to the farm store to have ice cream.  The kids loved making the connection that the cows they just saw, made the milk that made our ice cream.

Photobucket
Our last traveling story time was "The Ice Cream King" that you can read about here. Hmmm, I'm starting to see a pattern to our traveling story time hour...we always seem to end up with ice cream!  Mind you, I'm not complaining...


Linking to:  It's Playtime, Fun for the Kids Friday, Read, Explore Learn, Little Lucy Lu, High Paw

10 comments :

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

Love this idea in such a BIG way! Totally copying. OK? :)

Christy said...

Well, ice cream is the perfect ending to everything!

Emily said...

What a wonderful way to link the story to real life concepts. AND incorporate ice cream into the activity as well!

Ticia said...

I love the idea of travelling story time hour. Why hadn't I thought of that?

Jenny said...

Great lesson. We have that book too and it's cute!

Charlene said...

Looks like a really cute book!

Jackie H. said...

That is so cool. How awesome that they had icecream available from the cow's milk. Sound like a fun place a great book.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Your field trip looks like lots of fun! We love ice cream at our house.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. This counts as an entry in the Summer Reading Challenge.

Lovingmama said...

This book is one of my favorites and a grate way to talk about finding happiness and peace within yourself. I love the literature link with a trip to the farm and will try it out when the weather cools down a bit. Amanda at http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/

Elle Belles Bows said...

I am loving your traveling story time!

What a great idea!

I will definitely check out the book! E loves cats!

Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas!

Kerri