Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Traveling Story Time Hour

Photobucket

I've decided to try a "traveling story time hour" with my crew.  I figured since we are on summertime hours and we really don't have a set schedule that we can do some fun things with our story time.  Once a week we'll go someplace different than just our couch our bed to read and do fun things.

Photobucket

For today, I decided to just do it on our back deck.  I wanted to make sure they could still pay attention to the story and not get too distracted.
Photobucket

Some of our ideas for places to have story hour:
An ice cream shop
A park or picnic area
A farm
The botanical garden
A coffee shop
The pool
The butterfly house
The beach
The lake

Photobucket

We read everyday, several times a day, in fact.  However, I only do a "go along", such as our stART project a couple days a week. 

Photobucket

Today we borrowed a couple of nonfiction ocean themed books from Little J and headed outside to read.  Most nonfiction books are above their level of understanding, so we do quite a bit of look at the pictures and paraphrasing.  One book was about whales and the other was, "What Lives in a Shell".  That book prompted a look at our summer nature table.

Photobucket

I also set out some colored pencils, blank paper pads, and our ocean connectagons.  Only Juiciness chose to do some coloring, but they both played with the connectagons.

Photobucket

Photobucket

These "blocks" are fun for sorting, counting, and building.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Happy reading!



Linking to:  Delicate Construction, Playdate at Beneath the Rowan Tree, Come Together Kids, Nothing But Country, Fun For The Kids Friday, For the Kids Friday, The Nurture Store





13 comments :

Lindsay said...

I love this idea of doing it in different places. I am sure it will increase their ability to concentrate and make great memories!

Christy said...

Nice idea! We have those connectagons too - I think I'll pull them out today!

Ticia said...

I LOVE this idea! That sounds so fun.

Michie said...

You have great ideas. My local library is having a couple of story times in the park this summer, and I thought we'd give it a try. For some reason I never thought about doing it myself! Thanks for the inspiration. Those connectagons look like fun!

Jen said...

I love the idea of a traveling story time! What a fun idea! We need to try that this summer! :)

Elle Belles Bows said...

Fantastic idea!

Definitely going to need to check out the connectagons! Look fun!

Kerri

Fiona said...

what a great idea to help bring the stories to life!

Kara said...

What a great idea! I like your list of possible destinations. The ice cream parlor sounds like a fun place to read!

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

I love this idea!
Thanks for sharing!
I featured this at Beneath the Rowan Tree for this week's Playdate~ come on over and snag a featured button!

Cheers,
Lori
www.beneaththerowantree.com

MarĂ­a Corcuera said...

I love your blog, thank you for sharing your fantastic ideas. Greetings from my creative activities blog. http://tocreatemoments.blogspot.com/

Jackie H. said...

I know I want to be more on the go with my kids this summer and this will be a great way for you to get in that important reading time! I did something similar last year. In fact, I have a page of books suggestions for each place if you want to check it out:
http://readysetread2me.blogspot.com/p/book-adventures.html
I'm hoping to do a lot more this summer since I don't have a newborn to tote around.

D+B said...

Love your blog! its so cute!! I am your newest follower!! Here is my blog also if you would like to follow me back. I am new to this, but I am excited to share my ideas on the love of food.. Also I will be giving away free stuff like my mineral make-up line. so take a look.. And watch out for it. :)
-Brooke
For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the idea of traveling with books and tie-in materials. I need to start doing that with JDaniel.