Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sun Tea Tasting

Photobucket

Our summer bucket pull the other day was "Make sun tea".  We decided that it would be fun to try a few different teas.  So, we bought the Celestial Seasonings fruit sampler box, an all herbal and decaf mix.

Photobucket

They each picked a tea to make.  Little J picked black cherry berry, Sassyfras chose blueberry, and Juiciness chose raspberry.  I filled a large pitcher with water and they each took a turn filling smaller pitchers.

Photobucket

Since Little J is the most proficient at pouring, he started and that lowered the water level for the other two.

Photobucket

We made sure to label our teas.  They sat in the sun for a couple of hours and then we put them in the refrigerator overnight to get good and cold for our tasting.

Photobucket

The kids were so excited to taste "their" chosen tea and share some with the rest of us.  We used a little agave nectar to sweeten when needed. 

Photobucket

I made this a little lesson in practicle life and grace and courtesy by allowing each of the kids to pour the tea they made for everyone and then serve it. 

Photobucket

Juiciness does a great job with pouring, but still needs a little help...Little J was there for him.

In the end we all decided that the black cherry berry was our favorite, but there are still two more teas to sample in the box!














Photobucket
Link up your summertime fun at Little Wonders' Day every Saturday!




Linking to:  Come Together Kids, Nothing But Country, Not Just a Housewife, This Chick Cooks, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Fun For the Kids Friday, The Nurture Store

It's Playtime at hands on : as we grow



10 comments :

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How fun to do singles! We have a lot of different flavored teas - I should let Pierce try this. It would really be a treat for him, since I normally only let him drink water or milk. I'm a soda junkie - and I started early - so I'm trying to install a love for water in my kids early on. I wish I'd never tried soda!

Jen said...

We made sun tea, but not flavored! Guess we have to add one more thing to the bucket list. Peanut saw your post and said that she wanted to try flavored tea! :)

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!

wayside wanderer said...

You really have some great ideas for a fun, but uncomplicated summer with your children. It makes me wish my kiddos were younger!

Christy said...

We made sun tea as part of our bucket list activities last summer and loved it. We plan on doing it this year too! We have only made black tea, so I'll have to try some different flavors.

Lindsay said...

What fun!! I think my son would love this as well!

Gabe said...

How fun, but simple too! My kids love tea, sun tea would be fun for them to make!

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

Yum! My hubby LOVES iced tea - and sun tea is his favorite, we may have to try making some this summer too!

Katey (Having Fun at Home) said...

I love the way you implemented this- allowing the kids to take ownership- to be responsible for the work and then to get the joy of sharing.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What a fun way to enjoy the summer with the kids. Thanks for coming by to share your recipe :) Have a great weekend!
Katie

Cathy James said...

I've never heard of sun tea before - we'll have to try it (if we ever get any sun!)