Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Nature Table

summer nature table
Shark subway art, shells, sharks teeth, ocean life fossils, and a magnifying glass.
We've never done a true nature table, only a nature tray for each season.  This summer, however, I've decided to have the kids help me set up a nature table...outdoors.  We put an ocean themed table out in a protected location on the porch.

how to make a summer nature table

We haven't been to the beach yet, but I pulled out a few shells from past trips for them to display.  There are also a few rocks with fossilized shells and bits of coral that my aunt sent the kids.

I'm hoping to help the kids organize a shell collection this summer as part of our summer bucket list.  I've started making some nomenclature cards and will add to them as I have time to make more. 

This is a link the the Shell museum on Sanibel Island.  We have visited in the past and hope to get there again this summer.  Under the educational section, there are a couple of interesting video clips.
Shell Nomenclature Cards
Again, I don't know why ScribD always looks so odd on my posts.  There are currently 3 cards:  cockle shell, sea biscuit, and a Florida fighting conch.  More to come...

Photobucket
I hope you can come back tomorrow and join the summer fun party!






Linking to:  Friday's Nature Table at the Magic Onions, For the Kids Friday, Fun For Kids Friday, The Play Academy, Fun Friday, High Paw, Science Sunday

Classified: Mom

14 comments :

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I love this. I think I might make something similar for my girls! and thank you for the link to the Sanibel Is. resource.

Ticia said...

I love nature tables. Maybe someday I'll find a place in my house for them.

Christy said...

I would like to do a nature table - nice idea to do it outside. We probably won't be touching our bucket list until C gets out of school in three weeks.

Deb Chitwood said...

An outdoor nature table - what an awesome idea! It turned out beautiful, too! And thanks so much for sharing your shell nomenclature cards! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Sunshine Mama said...

We also just do a nature tray (or plate) in our case, but I love the idea of doing a table outside! Your bird cast looks awesome too by the way!

karen said...

beautiful, I love the beach so beach finds always dominate our summer nature table too!

Melissa Taylor said...

I just figured out the nursery rhyme - with cockle shells - I get it now. I need to visit the beach or something. Colorado is not doing wonders for my ocean vocabulary.

Thanks for the idea and teaching me a new / old word.

sarah in the woods said...

beautiful nature table!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what a great nature/exploartion tabe. Such wonderful items for kids to investigate!

Wanted to invite you to share your ideas at the Sunday Showcase (live Sat night thru Monday) at http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bernadette

Cathy James said...

Some great touchy-feely treasures to explore there. My girls love all things 'sea' - did you see the rock pool we made? Thanks for sharing this with the Play Academy. I do love the idea of an outside nature table for summer.

Elle Belles Bows said...

LOVE IT!

I have some sorting shell buckets for Ella set up on the shelves. I am going to go through them to see if our shells match up with your downloads and she can use them for matching. Thanks for sharing!

Kerri

Aimee from Classified: Mom said...

What a great science and sensory table! Great idea and thanks for sharing it at The Sunday Showcase.
Aimee @ Classified: Mom

learning table said...

I like the idea of doing the nature table outside. I'll have to do a beach table for my kids since they won't get to see the beach this year.

Deb Chitwood said...

This is awesome for any ocean unit, Kelly! I featured your nature table photo and shark posts in my Shark Unit Study at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/08/27/montessori-monday-shark-unit-study/