Thursday, June 2, 2011

Handprint Jellyfish Craft for Kids

We're planning a trip to the Atlanta aquarium this summer.  I thought we would do an ocean themed week or two.
handprint jellyfish

For our stART project we read a couple of ocean themed books and then Juiciness and Sassyfras made some jellyfish prints. 

kids ocean crafts

This is a colorful book intended for the young preschool crowd.  We spent more time talking about the creatures in the book as the text is short.

ocean preschool theme craft

This is a beautifully illustrated A,B,C book that features various ocean creatures.

Jellyfish craft for kids

I set out a couple bowls of tempera paints and balloons and paper.

jellyfish craft for kids

The balloons were slippery with the paint and it took the kids a few attempts to get the hang of "stamping" the balloon on the paper to make the jellyfish body.  In the end it was easiest to help them paint their fingers and make the hand print and then they could add the jellyfish body with the balloon print.  I know jellyfish don't have eyes, but we couldn't resist putting a few googly eyes on them anyway.

It was a little messy and I was glad we painted outside...I could just hose them down!

Linking to:  stART, Learn Explore Read, Kids Get Crafty


Christy said...

Super cute!

Oh, and I am feeling well - thanks for asking in the comment.

Michelle said...

Looks like fun!!!

Mizzreviewlady said...

Aww how cute is that! What a nice keepsake it will make:)

SmileMonsters said...

So cute! I hope you'll share at Fun For Kids Friday!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness these are way too cute! We painted with balloons a few weeks ago, we will have to try these next time :0)

Thank you for linking up to stART!!

~Michelle @ A Mommy's Adventures

Ticia said...

Of course because googly eyes are cool!

TanuvasaCasa said...

We drove from Tampa to Atlanta two weeks ago to check out the aquarium. You won't be disappointed! I'm sure you've checked this out already, but we loved this link Great coloring pages, kept the webcams on during homeschool, and we printed out the scavenger hunt for when we went. Every time the kids would get an answer for the question, they would get .50 towards the gift shop. Most of the time, then ended up reading the question to a worker and the staff went above and beyond helping the kids find the answer. Enjoy!!!!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Maybe your jellyfish are the box jellyfish variety. They have eyes. I love that you used balloons to paint. What fun!

Laura @ Our House Of Joyful Noise said...

Oh my goodness, how CUTE!! Jelly fish don't have eyes? One more interesting little tid-bit I learned today. I feel like finger-painting now. : )

artsy_momma said...

Love how colorful and happy-looking they are :)

RedTedArt said...

Oooh ever since I made an Octopus out of tights for my wee one and we did our "ocean" cards... he is really into Jellyfish and Octopus (confusing them a little). He would ADORE these!!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!


JDaniel4's Mom said...

I have heard the aquarium is awesome. I really love your craft.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. This post counts as entry one in the Summer Reading Challenge.

SnoopyGirl said...

What a cute idea! I love it. Never thought of balloon painting before. I will have to try this! Have fun at the Aquarium!

Jen said...


{JunkintheirTrunk} said...

Very cute jellyfish idea! My kids would love that!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love it - this jelly fish is so pretty! I am sure daughter will love painting with balloons!

Jackie H. said...

Adorable! And such a different idea, painting with balloons.