Friday, June 24, 2011

4th of July "Pop It" Rockets


Photobucket
I thought I would repost our 4th of July craft from last year.  It was a big hit with the kids!

We're having a 4th of July cookout with some friends this year and I plan on making these rockets for each of the kids.  These cute rockets are actually filled with those little pop-its or snaps...those things that you throw at the ground and they "pop".  I used only supplies I had around the house to make the rockets.

Supplies
Empty toilet paper tube
Small coffee filter
Red crepe streamer
Blue card stock
White card stock
Glue/double sided tape
Scissors
Star stickers
Pop-its or Snaps, candies, or confetti




 

I started by fitting and gluing a coffee filter inside one end of the tube.  This sealed the one end and made a little holder, so to speak.



Then I wrapped  and glued some red crepe paper streamer around the bottom several times.  I made cuts in it once it dried.  This made the "rocket flames".

Using a piece of blue card stock, I cut it to the size of the tube and glued it into place.  I covered the glued part of the crepe paper streamer too.  The clips held it in place while it dried.

It is decorated with stars and filled with pop-its.  You might call them pops, pop-its, snaps, or snappers. 
Photobucket
I used white card stock to cut a circle, made a slit in it, and folded it around to make a cone shape. I used double sided tape to attach it to the top.

The pop-its do come with a caution note that states that they are not recommended for children under 8 years of age.  I will probably fill the rockets with an alternative surprise for the really young kids.
 


5 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very fun! I have to see if Anna is at all interested - she was not into crafts lately, at least not outside her summer camp.

Christy said...

This is a great idea! We'll have to try it.

Jaimee said...

How cute and fun are these!? Love it! I'm sharing this on my crafty facebook page : )
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Karima said...

great tutorial!
New google follower via Skip to my lou link party, please pop by, karima x
www.karimascrafts.com

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

Oh my gosh, my kids would love this one! I'm featuring this tonight in the next For the Kids Link Party. Thanks so much for sharing! Stop by and grab a button, and share with us again! Always love seeing what you have! :)