Friday, May 6, 2011

Summer Bucket List 2011

summer bucket list


Last year I created a "summer bucket list", a list of what we wanted to do before summer ended with our family.  It was an incredible summer.  We had so much fun playing, relaxing, and enjoying every minute of summer.  We all wanted to do it again.
After we made our list last year, I went shopping and filled a plastic bin of any items we might need to complete an activity, unless that was part of the fun itself.  For example, for tie dye t-shirts, I had all the items needed stashed already, so when we pulled the paper from the bucket we went right to the fun part of the activity.  It was spontaneous enough in that we didn't know what we were doing for the day until someone pulled the paper.  Yet planned enough that I wasn't totally flying by the seat of my pants. 

This year we'll do the same with the exception of activities like, "See a play or attend a concert" since these have specific dates, as well as our annual road trip with Nana (which is usually our highlight of the summer).  These types of activities will be on the calendar already.

Our activities are also broken into color codes that correspond to how long an activity will take.  Yellow is an all day activity, blue is a half day activity, and orange is less than a 2 hour activity.  I tell the kids what color slip they can choose based on our other plans for the day.  This also helps plan the day a little better.  

Things like swimming, bike riding, reading, and doing nothing at all are givens for summer, but this list helps keep things lively around here. 
summer bucket list
Yellow List
Make Taffy
Hunt for Fossils
Have a "Field Day" with friends
Visit an art museum and try a new art media
Make a Shell collection and learn their names
Visit the odds and ends store, collect items and use them to create something
Celebrate silly days- Backward day, purple day, mystery day, be an animal day, etc
Visit D.C.
Go to the Atlanta Aquarium
Visit the Wrights Brother's Memorial and sand dunes
Go to the Fairchild Gardens
Go to the Miami Science Center
Visit the Miami Zoo

Blue List
Have a badminton tournament
Pick peaches
Have art time at a botanical garden, use the surroundings for inspiration
Learn the names of the flowers in our garden
Make shark tooth necklaces
Make Frozen Bananas
Pick blueberries
Make Sun Tea
Write to a pen pal
Make Homemade Pickles
Make garden stepping stones
Make cake balls

Orange List
Play Croquet
Play flashlight tag
Visit a farmers market
Play Hopscotch
Make pin wheels
Have reading time at the lake
Make sun prints
Make Lime Pie
Play at a sprinkler park
Send each grandparent a care package
Make a special lunch and surprise daddy at work with it
Send your teachers from last year a letter
Make homemade ice cream sandwiches
Play dress up, take silly pictures
Invite friends for pj's and pancakes morning
Make specialty brownies
Make milkshakes
Play on slip and slide
Make sun catchers
Work together to make your own magazine
Make fancy popsicles
Make sidewalk chalk and draw with it
Try to grow a pineapple plant
Catch and release fireflies
Make clay sculptures
Learn to yo-yo

I find so many new and creative ideas from your blogs and I'm really looking forward to reading about your summer bucket list.  Last year I also chose one activity from your lists and put them in our bucket.  We got to most of them, but there were a few we just ran out of time.  I'm going to try the same thing this year and when we complete your activity, I'll blog about it and link back to you. 

**Flash forward**
Summer 2011 was so much fun that the plans for a "Summer Bucket List 2012" are already in the works!  There will be another party too, so get your lists ready!



Linking to: The Artsy Girl Connection Beat the Winter Blues

20 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Wow, as always you plan ahead... way ahead. I like how you color coded the list, and I hope that you will get to as many activities as possible. Have a happy summer!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a great list! Once again, I'm so impressed by your creativity and organization! Also, I love the idea of having theme days!

Here's a link to mine: http://twobearsfarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/summer-bucket-list-2011.html

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

What fun! :-)

phasejumper said...

Thanks for the ideas! I do lists for holidays but haven't done one for summer. (Going to now!) Love that you put in a bucket!

Alissa said...

I LOVE this idea! I can't wait to share it with my homeschooling group, I know they'll like it too. Thanks!

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but my blinkie looks just awful. It's fuzzy and not at all cute like yours.Hopefully, it gets the message across at least.

cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Great list of ideas - thanks for sharing with us at the Play Academy.

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

Awesome ideas! I am going to steal a few!

butterfly wishes wonderland dreams said...

making list this weekend

Tiff said...

Great list! We don't get out of school until June 22nd this year so I am no where near getting our summer list planned yet. When we are ready though I'm for sure going to reference your list for ideas!!

SmileMonsters said...

Love this idea. I'm going to pin it to remind me to blog about it soon. LOL!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Toddler Approved said...

Love this. Now I feel very unplanned and need to get on it! I love your list. Hopefully we'll get ours posted soon. I think I am still in denial that it is almost summer already. The weather here is still acting like winter!

Gabe said...

Great idea, and great list! I'm working on setting goals for the summer (fun and educational) and I'll be posting those in the next few weeks! I'm look forward a fun and productive summer!

Joyce said...

I found your blog through a homeschool newsletter, I love this idea. We homeschool and recently I wrote 4 blogs about educating through the summer with fun activities. While I was not going to blog today, now I have to let others know about this great idea. It also encouraged me to start a list.

momofhtks said...

W0w! I LOVE this idea. I found your blog through my homeschool newsletter. I am going to make my list and have a great summer! Thanks!

Michelle@ourwonderfilledlife.com said...

Genius idea! We were making a list here, but I love how you color coded the list and the name in and of itself, perfect! We are taking a short trip to kick off summer for our family of seven and creating our bucket list will be the perfect activity for my soon to be 6 year old! I will visit again once I create our blog post, thanks for the idea!

Michelle
www.ourwonderfilledlife.com

Bonnie Ward Simon said...

You have so many great ideas! I feel flattered that with all your creativity you enjoyed our Maestro Classics' Peter and the Wolf CD and gave it such a great review. Maybe your "Summer Bucket List" could include discovering one new CD or piece of music? My musical discovery this week was actually going to the chapel where the Vienna Boychoir performs on Sunday morning. It was like hearing music from God floating down from the top balcony.
www.askbonniesimon.blogspot.com

A Mom After God's Own Heart said...

I LOVED your idea so much that I borrowed it to make my own list! I used a few the same ideas from you, hope you don't mind!:) Check out my list here:

http://therempels4.blogspot.com/2011/07/family-summer-bucket-list.html

Carolyn said...

I love your idea of a bucket list. I have one for my husband and myself, but decided time to start one to share with the grandchildren. Thanks for posting.

Rebekah said...

Great choice for your best post! I need to remember to do this with our daughter in Summer 2012. Happy New Year!