Sunday, April 3, 2011

Praying Mantis

We ordered a praying mantis egg case from Insect Lore and it arrived this past week.  We are using our butterfly house from last year to house the egg case.  Supposedly, it 3-6 weeks we will have a slew of baby praying mantises.  I'm hoping that when we release them in our garden, that they will stay and help fight off those pesky aphids that seem to love my flower beds.
Praying mantis egg case

We've ordered the book Praying Mantis by Trace Taylor that should arrive tomorrow, but in the meantime, we have used the websites below to find out more information about the praying mantis. 

Research questions for Little J to answer: (you can download the questions below)
Is a praying mantis an insect? How do you know?
What type of eyes does it have?  Can it see well?
Is it a harmful or beneficial insect?  What are its predators?
What does a praying mantis eat?  This type of diet is called what?
Is it a diurnal or nocturnal insect?
What is the life cycle of a praying mantis?
Tell me something that you find interesting about the praying mantis.

Helpful Websites:

Praying Mantis


Raising a Happy Child said...

How interesting! I have to admit that even though it's beneficial, I just hate the way it looks!

Wonder Mom said...

Oh, I did not know you could order something like this! My kiddos would L-O-V-E this in their Easter baskets...(Hmmmmm, is that a weird present to fin in an egg?)

Christy said...

We have ordered caterpillars from Insect Lore the last two years, but I might try the praying mantis this year.

Ticia said...

I've actually been thinking about getting the praying mantis. Maybe I'll sit down and order it soon.

Crisc said...

So fun! I'm going to have to order something

Our Country Road said...

I had no idea you could get something like this. I cant wait to see the Praying Mantis!

Serena said...

That's awesome and right up my son's alley, so to speak. Unfortunately praying mantises are not native here. Monarch butterflies... now those we can do!

Discovering Montessori said...

Thank you for the printable! I am giving this work to my son right now.

Sherri said...

This is such a great science project!

Lori said...

That is so fun! I am going to look in to this- my boys would love it. Please share pictures when they hatch!