Saturday, April 23, 2011

Carrot Cheesecake

I made a carrot cheesecake for our dessert tomorrow.  The recipe comes from my very worn copy of Cheesecake Extraordinaire by Mary Crownover.  This book seems to get mixed reviews, but I have never baked a cheesecake from it that wasn't great. 


A few cheesecake tips
  • Plan to bake it at least a day before (I go for 2 days) you plan to serve it.  It will give the flavors a chance to blend.
  • Make sure you have all your ingredients at room temperature and I like to have everything measured out ahead of time too.
  • Make sure you have enough time allotted to complete the cheesecake.  While mixing the cheesecake doesn't take long, the baking and cooling process does.
  • I like to beat the cream cheese until it's super creamy, but after I add the eggs, I place the mixer speed on low and only mix until ingredients are incorporated.
  • Once the cheesecake has finished baking and is ready to cool, I run a knife between the pan and the cake so that as it shrinks while cooling, it doesn't crack the cake.
  • Most all cheesecakes have fine cracks in their surface, no big deal.  For ones that turn out with big cracks, add a topping.  No one will ever know they're there. 
Happy Easter!


3 comments :

Christy said...

Sounds delicious! I have never made a cheesecake!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Carrot cheesecake! What a way to combine too fabulous desserts. Can I come over? ;-)

Sherri said...

I have been thinking of baking a cheesecake this week...I have never made one...and I am a bit nervous...thanks for your great tips! =)