Thursday, March 24, 2011

How to Make Whirligig Fish

whirligig fish, whirligig theme, whirligig lesson plans

My husband looked out the window the other day and sighed.  "What's wrong I asked?"  "Those maple trees are going to start dropping their seeds soon"  he responded.  Hmmm.


I loved to play with maple tree whirligigs, as we used to call them as kids.  However, we have several maples in the back and front that drop what seems like millions of seeds that then begin to invade our lawn and garden for the rest of the warm months.  Still, I thought I'd make the best of them with the kids and have an "All things whirligig week". 

how to make whirligig fish
Our first project, big fish little fish,  comes from the book Wind Chimes and Whirligigs by Renee Schwartz.  The book is probably geared more toward the elementary crowd and up, but I was able to modify it enough that Sassyfras and Juiciness could do a good part of the artistic work and I helped with the parts requiring greater coordination.

whirligig fish craft for kids

We omitted several steps in the book and used supplies that I had on hand.  The book recommends using plastic file folders, but we just used paper. 

After cutting the circles for the fish and punching the mouths out, I let the kids decorate their fish and glue on the eyes.  I helped them punch the holes for the dowel and make the pinwheel. 
whirligig fish, whirligig week, whirligig lesson plan
The pinwheel has a thumbtack holding it to the fish, so I've supervised them the entire time they played with their fish.  When they ran with their fish, the tail spun and they laughed hysterically!


21 comments :

Lindsay said...

What a great craft! I loved playing with the helicopters (what we called them) when I was a kid!

Raising a Happy Child said...

This look as gorgeous as all crafts created under your guidance :) I love the bright colors, and I am sure the kids have a lot of fun with their new toys.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I always liked playing with the maple seeds, too. Those are very colorful fish, and I'm sure they are great fun to play with!

Christy said...

What a great theme. I never would have thought of it! Very nice craft.

I understand your husband's sigh, but I remember loving to play with those too!

RedTedArt said...

Oh my! These are just the coolest fish EVER!!!!!! And that book looks amazing! Wow! How wonderful!

Thank so for sharing this with us (on Kids Get Crafty!)

Maggy
PS am so going to go and check that book out now...

Wonder Mom said...

Okey-dokey- I am gonna have to make these- I am always in need of crafts that can make my kiddos giggle!

LocalFunForKids said...

They are too cool - I love these!
Thanks for linking up with www.localfunforkids.com

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is super cute! Now I want to make one. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

phasejumper said...

Looks like a fun project! We called them helicopters, too!

Jerri Neddermeyer said...

Stopped by from bubbly nature hop! I love this little project! Too cute!

Jerri
Www.thrownandfired.blogspot.com

radn said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!Nice crafts! Will have to checl out that book.

I am having a giveaway on my blog.
$40 store credit + free shipping to get a drawstring bag/ spring hair accessories. check it out. All you have to do is leave a comment.
http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/40-store-credit-free-shipping-from-o-to.html

Elle Belles Bows said...

Super cute and great theme!

Excellent use of your punch too! :-)

Kerri

EmilyM said...

These are so cute. My son would love to make one of these. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Smile Monsters.

Kim said...

These are darling!! Great job and I love that you involved your kids in this craft. That makes is so much better.

SmileMonsters said...

Really cute!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Kelly said...

What a cute idea! Visiting from Read.Explore.Learn.

Sherri said...

Those whirling fish are the cutest ever...we just finished fish week...I would have loved to make those!

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

These are amazing! I am featuring them at the next For the Kids Friday Link Party (I'm posting later tonight). Stop by and grab an A++ button to post on your blog.

LOVE to have you by to link up again this week!

:)rachel @ SunScholars.blogspot.com

The Sunshine Crew said...

So cute and so fun!
Thanks for sharing:)

RedTedArt said...

What a fab craft - have featured you on "Water Get Crafty"

http://www.redtedart.com/2011/05/01/water-get-crafty-fish-summer-crafts-to-inspire-you/

Thank you!

Maggy

Amanda said...

So cute!

I’d love it if you shared this with the Fun Family Crafts audience. FFC is similar to Craftgawker but it only features kid friendly tutorials. Looking forward to seeing what fun crafts you submit!
http://funfamilycrafts.com