Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ssssnakes! St. Patrick's Day Countdown

Yesterday was day 5 of our lucky 7 countdown to St. Patrick's Day.  "Snakes" was our theme.  We visited an amazing serpentarium and will finish some of our planned activities today.

Snakes, Photo Facts Collection by Jane P. Resnick is a great snake book for showing various snakes and snippets of information.  We saw many of the snakes in this book at the serpentarium we visited.

Little J loved this book...maybe a little too much!
From top left to right: emerald tree boa, cobra, anaconda, eastern green mamba.

Gaboon viper

The serpentarium was filled with the world's most dangerous snakes, most of them caught by the owner himself.  There were cobras, bushmasters, vipers, a taipan, an array of constrictors, and many, many more. 

We were able to see a live feeding which I hope impressed upon the kids a great respect for these creatures.  I was amazed at how well these animals' colors and markings allow them to camouflage into their native surroundings.  We all enjoyed this day.

Linking to: Science Sunday


Christy said...

You always have the most organized and well-planned countdowns! This is cool.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Oh! I HATE snakes!!! I barely made it through St. Patrick and the Last Snake in Ireland picture book :)

Sherri said...

This sounds like an activity that my kids would just LOVE! They love learning about all different animals!

Mrs David W said...

I am so inspired by your posts. You are an amazing teacher to your kids and a great mom.
Thanks for sharing

Phyllis said...

That is a great idea. Wish we lived close enough to a place with snakes to take a field trip like that. I love your wooden ones too.

polwig said...

Fun... what a great way to learn science on St. Patty's day and so true to the story of St. Patrick... I love it so much more the rainbows and leprechauns

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a cool trip! Anna's school had a visit from a group that raises snakes. Now Anna begs to have a snake as a pet. Umm... I don't think so!

Ticia said...

I am so horrid at countdowns I held off on reading your posts because I really SUCK at them.

But, really that is a cool way to count down.

My kids love the herpatoriums we've been to.