Thursday, March 3, 2011

Seed Planting

I love, love when the seed catalogs start to arrive.  We don't have a large space to garden, but it's sure fun to look and be creative with the space we have.  These were some of our favorites this year.

It's a little too early to plant seeds for outdoors yet.  However, I thought watching and caring for a plant would be a good "living" vs nonliving lesson for Juiciness and Sassyfras.  Some basil plants would be wonderful to have in the kitchen.

For our pot, I took a large, empty can and removed its label.  Using the label as a pattern, I cut out a piece of scrap fabric.

Then I attached the fabric to the can with a generous coat of modge podge and let it dry overnight.

After putting a couple of drainage holes in the bottom, we had a pretty new pot for the kids to grow some basil plants.


Juiciness and Sassyfras used their garden prop box to get ready to plant.  They loved planting even if it was just one pot for now.  They helped scoop the dirt, plant, water, and find a safe place for their (hopefully) soon living object.

I didn't talk specifically about plants and their needs during this time.  What I did talk about was that the seeds would grow into a living plant and that the plant would be a living thing and need food and water to continue to live.


Sherri said...

This is wonderful!
I am going to do this with my promise that anything will grow...or stay alive..but what a great activity!

Christy said...

I like this! I should grow basil with my kids because we use a lot of it. I don't have a green thumb AT ALL, so it may be a challenge.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love how you made your pot. Very pretty.

radn said...

A great way to get kids involved in gardening!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Great activity (as always)!

Going to check out the Cooks Garden catalog. We are limited on space too!

Love the fabric that you used for the can too! Bright and cheery!


LocalFunForKids said...

Your garden can is really cool. Last year I planted carrots and lots of herbs. My kids loved it as much as I did, so we are definitely doing it again! Thanks for linking up with Fun for Kids Friday. : )

Bending Birches said...

a fantastic idea!!!

Jenni Price Illustration said...

Such a pretty planter to have to watch the seeds...and be excited over...and learn too!

Rashi said...

nice activity, I will definitely give it a try! Check out my recent post @

SmileMonsters said...

I'll be featuring this tomorrow on Fun For Kids Finds. I know my boys will love it!

Jo @ SmileMonsters