Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rainbow Fun, St. Patrick's Day Countdown

We started our lucky 7 St. Patrick's Day countdown today with some rainbow fun. It was a perfect day for this theme as we had plenty of rain. Unfortunately, we never spotted a rainbow, but made plenty of our own fun!
rainbow crafts and activities for kids
We started our morning off by reading the story of Noah.  I read from the Children's Bible for Juiciness and Sassyfras since it is very short.  For Little J, we read from a book called 5 Minute Bible Stories and it goes into more detail with the story of Noah. 

Rainsticks
kid's rainbow crafts, music

 After reading The Rain Came Down, by David Shannon, we made rainsticks using clear containers, colored pom poms, and rice. 

rainbow craft for kids
Start by placing pom poms in rainbow order.  They should fit loosely in the container to allow the rice to move easily.  The pom poms slow the rice down and when the container is rotated, it makes a gentle sound like a gently falling rain.
Photobucket
Colored rice would be cute with this project.  I just didn't take the time to make some.  However, I told them that it represented white light that helps make a rainbow.
Photobucket

Rainbow Fruit Pizza
how to make a rainbow fruit pizza
This fruit pizza was the hit of the day.  The kids (and my husband) devoured it for dessert.  The crust is made from sugar cookie dough sprinkled with rainbow sugar sprinkles. 

Crust
Press sugar cookie dough into a pan, I used a tart pan, and bake according to cookie recipe.  Allow to cool completely. 

Filling
80z softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
4-6oz Cool Whip

Put all ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.  Spread over center of sugar cookie crust.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to top and serve.

Topping
Sliced fruit of your choice.  I used strawberries, mandarin oranges, sliced bananas tossed with a little lemon juice, kiwi, blueberries, and sliced grapes.  Make sure all fruit is patted dry to keep the juices from making the crust soggy.  I drizzled a little melted chocolate over the top when we were ready to eat.

rainbow fruit pizza
Photobucket

Fingerpaint
How to make homemade finger paint, rainbows
We played with some homemade fingerpaint.  We haven't done much finger painting, so this was more of a fun sensory experience than an art project for Sassyfras and Juiciness.

Recipe
1 cup corn starch
2 cups water (more if needed)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon of salt

Place all ingredients in a pot over low-medium heat.  cook, stirring regularly, for about 15 minutes until smooth and thick.  Divide into containers and add food coloring. 

homemade finger paint

homemade finger paint recipe
I made this the day before and it had thickened quite a bit. I mixed in a little water and it was fine.

Graphing
rainbow math fun for kids
One of Little J's activities was to graph the contents of a pack of Skittles.  He LOVED doing this, of course he knew they were his to keep!  I included a column for blue skittles (there are no blue skittles) which he picked up on right away.  I also gave him a few questions to answer based on the graph.  You can download the graph below.


Skittles Graph

We also did a little Internet search and I've listed below our favorite sites.  Once we had some facts about rainbows, we went outside to look for a rainbow.  I asked him where we should look based on our information and he knew to stand with the sun to his back.  Unfortunately, no luck.

Make a Rainbow
Then we tried to place a small mirror in a bowl of water and shine light into it until we created a rainbow on the ceiling.  It wasn't spectacular, but it did make a rainbow and we were able to discuss why this was happening.
http://www.catalogs.com/info/earth-science/what-makes-a-rainbow.html
http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/sci/A0857451.html
http://www.teach-nology.com/themes/science/light/



We finished the day by playing Candyland.  Juiciness and Sassyfras are so funny with this game.  They don't understand how to play no matter how much we tell them or show them.  Instead they match the cards to the blocks on the board or make matches amongst the cards.  So cute.




28 comments :

Jenny said...

Great projects! I just downloaded the Skittles Graph. I love Skittles!

Discovering Montessori said...

LOve, Love the rainsticks! Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

you are an awesome MomTeacher!! :) Super ideas that I will be borrowing!! :)

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

What great ideas! How fun!

I'd love to have you link up to my For the Kids Friday Link Party!!! Please stop on by!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com

Kari said...

Your fruit pizza looks SOOOO yummy!!!!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Fantastic rainbow activities! I also loved rainsticks - very cute.

Lizzy said...

That fruit pizza looks delicious! What a fun way to celebrate--you have lots of great ideas!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love everything. The rain stick looks like such fun. The fruit pie is amazing.

LambAround said...

That fruit tart has me just about on the verge of drooling! Geez, it looks delicious :)

If you get a chance, I'd love for you to link this up for my Not "Baaad" blog hop, which is up right now. It's unlike other linkies in that you actually compete with the other linked posts for my Best in Show award :)

Lyuba B. said...

The Rainbow Pizza looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to try it.
~http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

Happy Home Fairy said...

I am loving this colorful array of wonder! You are such an amazing mommy! My favorite part was that you started with the story of Noah and God's creation of the rainbow! Just the perfect inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

Krista @ While He Was Napping said...

How fun! I love it! That fruit pizza looks delicious! I'd like to invite you to link it up to my Recipe Exchange! It would be a wonderful addition. Hope to see you there!

Krista

Holiday Snob said...

Love the ideas! Saw tis on Be Different Act Normal

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love the rainsticks! The fruit pizza looks too yummy too! Great post (as always)

Kerri

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That fruit pizza looks absolutely delicious!

TP Craft said...

Oh my goodness! That fruit pizza looks awesome!

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

Thanks for sharing at the For the Kids Friday Link Party! I look forward to having you back this Friday!

Michelle said...

Your projects are fabulous! I am a follower and I am having my first ever linky party for kids activities and I would LOVE if you would come link up this project! Hope to see you soon!
Michelle
http://delicateconstruction.blogspot.com/2011/03/very-first-made-by-little-hands-linky.html

SmileMonsters said...

Great ideas! I featured this today at Fun For Kids Finds. http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com/2011/03/fun-for-kids-finds_14.html

The boys and I will be making some of these this week!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Jackie H. said...

Love the rainbow fruit pizza. I may steal that idea for a shower I am throwing soon. I think it would be cute for that. Your rainbow day looks so cheery!

Cathy James said...

Thanks for sharing these fabulous ideas with the Play Academy - I especially like the rain stick. I love rainbows any day of the year!

Lark Harrington (SparkyLarky) said...

I would like to invite you to join in my Recipe Linky Party on my blog: http://larkscountryheart.com/

"Made it on Monday" is a weekly recipe link party, so you can join at any time.

I hope to see your recipes soon. :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Hey! I wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your fruit rainbow today. Thanks so much for sharing it. I'd love for you to stop by if you get a chance.

Katie

Deborah said...

These are all such amazing ideas! I just LOVE rainbows!! Thank you so much for adding your post to my rainbow linky today!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

What a fun day! That fruit pizza is beautiful. I would love if you would join my dessert linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime. The linky runs through Fridays each week. :)

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Love this! Just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party...would LOVE for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/03/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_08.html

The Heiner's said...

Such great ideas....just one quick question,
I made the finger paint and still have TONS left over after our art project today...So I was wondering can this be stored?? And if so how do you Store it??

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

I know we used our paint up in one sitting, so I'm not certain of this answer. However, I would think you could store it. If it were me, I would keep in covered in the refrigerator and add a tad of water when you used it again if it was too thick. I'd love to know if you do try to store it how it turns out for you. Hope you enjoyed it.