Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Potatoes! St. Patrick's Day Countdown Day 2

Aggh!  I'm a little behind on my posts, sorry!!  My sister is getting married this coming weekend (finally!!) and while we've been having our St. Patrick's Day fun I just haven't had the time to post.  I'm sure you know how that goes.  Anyway, I thought I would share our fun from today and I'll get the two previous days caught up tonight, hopefully.

St. Patrick's Day foods kids like
We're having a potato bar for dinner.  I also bought a couple of green Izze sodas that will be a treat since we don't generally have soda.

Our theme for today was Ireland and the potato.  I found this cute book, Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato by Tomie de Paola.  It is about a lazy man that essentially finds a "get rich quick" scheme involving a potato.  The kids and enjoyed it and it is cute, I'm just not sure about sending the message "The lazy way pays off". 

how to sprout a potato

Little J and I did some research on the potato, such as how/where it grows and its nutritional value.  Then we read some websites to find out why the potato was important in Irish history. 

We're trying to sprout our own potato.  (I recently read a great post about sprouting a potato, left a nice comment, and promptly lost my note to self as to where I read this.  So, if you think you're that blog, please let me know so I can mention you here!)   Found it!  It was at Kathy's blog, Polwig.  They have sprouted a lot of potatoes and are planning to garden with them.

You'll need:
A firm potato
Toothpicks
A jar of water
A sunny spot
how to sprout a potato
Locate the pointier end of the potato and turn it facing down.  Then insert toothpicks around the center of the potato and suspend it over your jar of water.  Place it in a sunny location.  It should start to sprout in a few days.  Change the water every couple of days and don't let it get cloudy. 


Photobucket
I found this Irish cheese on sale at Target this week and thought it would be fun to try. 

I'm making twice baked potatoes for dinner tonight.  I bake the potatoes until they are soft (about an hour at 400 degrees).  Then, once they cool a little, I cut them in half, scoop out the inside (while preserving the outside) and mix in a little butter, cheese, and nonfat plain yogurt.  I return them to to a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. 
St. Patrick's Day food for kids

These are the family's favorite toppings:  Bacon, broccoli, cheddar jack cheese, and sour cream. 


See this post for our full countdown to St. Patrick's Day.

3 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

I hope your potato will sprout. I remember reading somewhere that the best way to sprout a potato is to put it in a closed lunch bag with an apple. Congratulations on the wedding of your sister!

polwig said...

How fun, thank you for the shout out. You are so creative with St. Patty's Day stuff... I am totally drawing a blank with my posts, other then shamrock prints... love yours. Enjoy the wedding and Congratulations to your sister.

Chelsea said...

Congratulations to your sister! I am impressed that you have managed to do and post so much this week with a wedding this weekend. Have a wonderful time, and I hope the day is filled with blessings for your sister, and your entire family.