Friday, March 18, 2011

Make Farmer's Market Cards from Seed Catalogs

Don't throw your seed catalogs away yet! The pictures in our catalogs were so beautiful I just had to do something with them.

farmers market with kids

The kids and I love to go to farmers markets and shop.  They know common fruits and vegetables.  However, when I tell them we're looking for an eggplant, they don't know what to look for.  I decided to make them some picture catalogs by recycling our seed catalogs.

grocery shopping with kids

farmer's market with kids

Using our seed catalogs, I cut out pictures of vegetables that we typically, and not so typically, purchase at the farmers market.  After gluing them to index cards and writing the name at the bottom, I laminated them.   

Eating the Alphabet Activity


I think these cards will make fun shopping lists at the farmers market!

Eating the Alphabet Activity


I'm also hoping that it will encourage them to try new vegetables.

Eating the Alphabet activity

Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert is a great go along book.

We visited a farmer's market and took our cards with us in this post.  They worked great!



14 comments :

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Great project idea. I love see catalogs, and always save them for projects. These cards are excellent, and we have that same board book!

butterflywishesandwonderlanddreams said...

love these will be making a set for my girls

Raising a Happy Child said...

Great idea. I am sure they will enjoy growing some of those veggies too.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Great idea. I am so ready for fresh veggies.

Stopping by from Local Fun For Kids but I am sure I have some catching up to do with you in my reader:-) Have a good weekend!

Kerri

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a great way to reuse catalogs! I love this idea! Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Wonder Mom said...

OK, you are just adding to my "hold-onto-to-everything-because-I-might-be-able-to-turn-it-into-something-else" illness...what a GREAT idea!

Sherri said...

I am totally on board when it comes to trying to get my kids to eat better! Veggies would be great!
I love your idea!

Michelle said...

What a great idea! I would love if you would link it up to my Made by Little Hands Monday Linky party!
Thanks so much!
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Larissa said...

That is a fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing!!!

Just Another Day in Paradise

Lei said...

I love this idea. So much. Thanks for sharing, I've seen it at a few different linky parties and it totally caught my eye!

Lei said...

I love this idea. So much. Thanks for sharing, I've seen it at a few different linky parties and it totally caught my eye!

Cathy James said...

Great upcycling idea - and love the idea of using them as a shopping list. Thanks for sharing this with the Play Academy.
P.S. Did you see we're running a Sunflower Challenge? Maybe you'd like to join in?

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

Awesome! I think I need to get some seed catalogs sent my way! I've never seen them, but I'm excited to now! How fun!

Thanks so much for linking up with For the Kids Friday! I'll be posting the next link party tomorrow night. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com

Candy (Mama Lion) said...

so cute! im ur newest follower!