Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Salt Dough Shamrocks

shamrock pins


One of our St. Patrick's Day activities will be to make salt dough shamrocks and turn them into pins. I wanted to make sure this was going to work before I involved the kids, so I made a batch (I'm going to try to freeze the left overs until we need it. Has anyone ever tried this before?  Do you think it will work?).


Little Wonders' Days

Salt Dough Recipe
2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1 cup of water
Green food coloring (it takes a lot of green to make it Kelly green)

Mix all ingredients well and knead until smooth.  The dough should not be sticky, add more flour if it is.  Roll the dough out like you're making cookies and stamp out with a shamrock cookie cutter.  Bake on a lined cookie sheet for 40-50 minutes at 325 degrees.

st. patrick's day crafts for kids
I put small balls of foil under some of the florets to give it a 3D effect.

salt dough shamrocks

When they cooled I added a coat of Modge Podge and some green glitter. (I tried adding green glitter to the dough, but it seems to get lost.  So, I don't recommend adding any glitter until after you bake them.)  Then I attached a jewelry pin to the back with hot glue.  I made some 4x4 cards to place them on so we could give these as little gifts. 


Shamrock Cards


st. patrick's day craft for kids



17 comments :

Jenny said...

Very cool!

C.Byrd said...

So cute!! Love the idea!

Christy said...

Very nice! I am looking forward to starting our St. Patrick's Day crafts!

Sandy said...

They look great!

I've never tried to freeze salt dough, but go for it! You ever know until you try. :)

Jill said...

These turned out awesome!

The Princess and the Tot said...

These turned out very cute!

Raising a Happy Child said...

So very pretty - I love how it turned out!

Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot Giraffe said...

These are so fun! Thanks so much for sharing.

I found you through a linky party. My readers would love this. I would love if you came and linked up to TOO Cute Tuesday!

http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/02/too-cute-tuesday-linky-par-tay-19.html

Cap Creations said...

They are adorable! Love them!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are gorgeous! Thanks for thr great link up guide!

hungryhippie said...

Awsome! I'm going to do this tomorrow with my toddlers. THANKS :o)
natalie

Darcey said...

This is a great gift idea! I've linked up to your post on my weekly favorits here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekly-favorites-for-february-27-2011.html

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I wanted to let you know I shared your Shamrock project on my blog. I love EVERYTHING, really nice project and printables too - Thank You !
http://flowergirlcottage.blogspot.com/p/free-pattern-favorites.html

RedTedArt said...

(Spring Get Crafty is now out!!! http://www.redtedart.com/2011/03/01/spring-get-crafty/ thanks for a lovely craft to include!)

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

incredibly cute!! Here’s another party if you would like to link up… http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/03/project-party-weekend-5-ways-to-re.html

Deb Chitwood said...

This looks like so much fun, Kelly! I featured your post and photo in my St. Patrick's Day Playdough Activities Roundup at Living Montessori Now: http://livingmontessorinow.com/2014/03/03/montessori-monday-st-patricks-day-playdough-activities/