Thursday, February 17, 2011

Put Me In the Zoo Craft and Letter Z activities

The Book
crafts for the letter Z

We had a day of fun with the book Put Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire.  We're starting our zoo theme for the next couple of weeks.

Craft
Put Me in the Zoo Craft

Using a printable from here, the kids glued colorful foam dots on the character while I read the story to them. 

crafts for the letter Z

You can't skip Do A Dots when reading this book!

Letter of the week crafts


Letter Z crafts

Letter Recognition

letter Z activities for preschoolers

We worked on the letter sound of "Z".  Using Crayola wonder finger paints they "dotted" the letter Z.  This was messier than I had expected, but they had fun.  I guess I wouldn't rush out to buy this product again though.

Photobucket


Math

Photobucket

We did some number recognition and counting using the foam dots again and a printable from here.

Photobucket


Photobucket

The evening ended with a modified game of Twister.  The kids were moving and giggling the entire time. So, all of my pictures were blurry or of some random body part, but this was super fun for them. 



13 comments :

Christy said...

Fun! That is a great book.

We received Color Wonder finger paints to review and my kids loved them. I thought they were messier than I expected too.

Lindsay said...

This was one of my favorite books growing up we will have to do some lessons with it soon!

Sherri said...

I love that book, that is a great activity to go with it!

RedTedArt said...

Aaah sounds like lovely start to Zoo week! Love how you ended it all with twister!! GREAT! :-)

Thanks for linking up! Always appreciated.

Maggy

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

This is one of my favorite childhood books - I love the bright colors - the foam dots work perfectly with it.

Elise said...

I am on the hunt for letter cards. Could you please tell me if you made the letter card featured here, or did you purchase it. if you bought these cards where did you get them from?

Kelly said...

Hi Elise, I answered your question on your blog, but I thought I would answer it here too. The letters are lower case, textured letters from Key Education. Here is the website, http://www.keyeducationpublishing.com/manipulatives.htm

Raising a Happy Child said...

It is a good book even though daughter was upset that in the beginning everyone in the zoo was mean to the spotted creature. I agree - the book is just begging for dot art to go with it.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love how you came up with so many activities to go with the book.

The fingerpaint has caught my eye at the store. Looks like I will be leaving it there.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

SnoopyGirl said...

This is so well thought out and fun! I love the way you bring all the dots and how is all coordinates with the book. I am a huge fan of coordination! Nice work my dear!

Joyful Learner said...

K loved Put Me in the Zoo! I believe, there's a sequel if I remember correctly. I love the colorful foam dots too. Thanks for sharing!

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

I'll have to check this book out for my youngest. He prays each night to go see the animals. Apparently two trips a month to the zoo just isn't quite enough for him! :)

Rebecca said...

What a fun theme!!!