Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Polar Bear Story Sack

Photobucket

Juiciness and Sassyfras have long loved Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr.  We've read it several times this week already, so I've put together a little story sack to help them tell the story themselves. 

Photobucket

Contents
Copy of the book
Animal figurines- polar bears, lion, hippo, leopard, zebra, boa, walrus, and elephant
Sticker of a flamingo
Peacock feather
Zoo keeper's hat

Photobucket

While I had originally thought this would help them retell the story, which it did, it did so much more.  A couple of things I noticed was that it introduced new vocabulary with the descriptive sounds each animal makes and it allowed them to match the objects to the pictures in the book.  I have a feeling this sack will be in the basket and used for awhile.







Shibley Smiles



Best toys for toddlers

8 comments :

Christy said...

Very cute idea!

polwig said...

Cute.. keep them a bit occupied. The sad thing is that with all the toys that my kids have I most likely have the figuries or stuffed animals of all of them.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the idea. Need to extract some of the animals out of the big plastic pile :)

Ticia said...

I keep meaning to do something like that, but haven't followed through yet.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is such a wonderful idea! Retelling is a really important way to work on reading.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

What a wonderful idea to bring a book alive! I've been wanting to do this with the book "The Mitten" - another one with lots of animals and a mitten. You've inspired me to move forward with that project!

Michelle Willow said...

It's wonderfu to find something that really appeals to your child, right? :)

Thanks for participating in last week's High paw! Hope to see you there again! :)

Angela said...

This is such a great idea and really can be done with any book! Love it!