Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mommy Sick Day Tips

I posted some sick day tips for kids  and here and here (actually many of the kid's tips are good for us too) and now I'm finding it's time to post some mommy sick day tips too. 

It's never fun being a sick mommy, but there are some things that we can do to make life easier when we are.  I had the worse head cold, followed by a sinus infection a couple of weeks ago and these are some of the things, other than what the doctor ordered, that I found helpful.  First, I must say that I have a wonderful and helpful husband, so that is a big start.

My Tips

Revert back to the newborn adage, "Sleep when they sleep"-If you're lucky enough to have nappers, go take a nap when they do.  When they go to bed at night, you go to bed too.  You'll be glad for the extra rest.

Pull out the DVD's and keep them rolling-  This is not the time to feel guilty over the kids watching too much tv.  My kids get very little if any at all tv time during the week, so they were transfixed for one afternoon! 

Stock your bedside table- 
  • Tissues and a wastebasket, you don't want to constantly be running for a tissue and you certainly don't want a mound of used tissues by your bed. 
  • Water bottle
  • Lip balm
  • Telephone
Be mindful where you are keeping any of your medicines- You still need to keep all medicines out of the reach of little ones, preferably in a locked cabinet. 
 
Put hand lotion at every sink-  My hands are already dry, but the extra washing doesn't help and then I forget to go get lotion to put on and perpetuate the cycle.  If it's at the sink, I don't forget.

Drink plenty of decaffeinated fluids- Warm herbal tea with honey was my favorite for the week.  Popsicles taste surprisingly good when you don't feel well. 

Eat small, simple meals-  I didn't have much of an appetite, but I found I felt worse by skipping meals.  A little toast, soup, or scrambled egg was easy enough to make and tasted ok.

Do stay in your most comfy jammies all day, but take a warm bath or shower-
I usually feel guilty if I stay in jamies all day, but it's ok when you're sick.  The steam from the shower/bath can often help sooth stuffy noses.

Order groceries on line-  Some grocery stores offer shop on line, drive by and pick up service.  I did this when I was pregnant with the twins and found it tremendously helpful.  The cost is about $5 an order, well worth it when your too sick to tour the grocery store.  I ordered one night while resting in bed, saved my order, and then double checked it in the morning before placing the final order.  This gave me a chance to remember what I forgot the night before. 

Let someone else pick the groceries up-  You can typically pay for the grocery order on line so all that is needed at pick up is you to unlock the trunk.  So, if you have a friend that wants to help, this is a perfect job.

Make convenience meals- I definitely didn't feel like cooking. 
  • Order pizza
  • Order a rotisserie chicken when you order groceries
  • Order take out from a restaurant and have hubby pick up on the way home
  • Whole Foods has a section of family meals, just heat and eat
  • Some delis have great take out meals
  • Of course there are frozen meals
Leave the laundry- We all know that it will be there tomorrow and just as bad as yesterday, so just leave it.  Maybe hubby will feel sorry for you and do it, lightening has struck twice before.

If a friend offers help, take it-  There are several things you can get help with that your friend is probably already doing in her own day to day life.  You can return the favor someday.
  • Pick up prescriptions
  • Post office runs
  • Carpool kids (if they're good drivers :)
  • Take the kids for a little while
  • Pick up/drop off the dry cleaning
  • Make an extra meal for you
Finally, let go of the guilt and perfection for the day. - I had to cancel a couple of my personal meetings as well as some fun things for the kids.  I feel like such a slacker when I do that, but really, no one wants your germs so just stay home.  Take care of yourself and don't feel guilty about it!



5 comments :

The Sunshine Crew said...

Great tips! I have been dealing with vertigo since coming back from vacation and have had to pop some DVDs in and have also had to ask hubby to help out a bit around the house too.
Have a happy Sunday and thanks for sharing your tips.
Colleen:)

Christy said...

Great tips! I ordered groceries on-line during my pregnancies and when my kids were babies. It is so helpful.

lindsy said...

Those are wonderful tips! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I'm battling something right now and wish it would go away. I like to keep a batch of soup in the freezer to pull out when I'm sick and have no desire to cook. Plus, the steamy soup helps clear airways, too.

littlewondersdays said...

Brimful- Keeping homemade soup in the freezer is a great tip!