Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winter Comfort Food

We had another round of snow and ice last night! I'm not a winter person.  I like 90 degrees and sunny in the forecast.  However, these cold, gray days of winter do bring some wonderful things.

Comfort food is one of those wonderful things.  I made a pot roast and thought I would share how I make mine.

I take a nice chuck roast and salt/pepper it on all sides.

Then in a heavy bottomed pan, brown it on all sides over medium heat in a little olive oil.  I could just continue to cook it in this pot, but I like to forget I have it cooking until dinner.  I use a crockpot set on low...the house smells wonderful all day!

I put about 1/2 cup of red wine and 1/2 cup of chicken stock in the bottom of my crockpot, put some sliced onion and carrots in then add my browned roast.  Cover and cook on low for the day. 

Some roasted fingerling potatoes complete the meal.

I'm hoping you're having a cozy winter's evening.


Christy said...

Sounds wonderful.

Lindsay said...

yum!! Sounds delicious and super easy.. my kind of meal :-)

Raising a Happy Child said...

I am always on the lookout for good crockpot recipes - perhaps I'll try it out. It looks so easy and delicious. And I really liked your mitten thank you cards - very cute idea.